This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

This month is coming to an end, but did you know that throughout October, Filipino American History Month is being celebrated? In 2009, the United States Congress passed a law that nationally recognized October as Filipino American History Month.  The first celebration of Filipino American History Month occurred in October 1992, after a board of trustees in the Filipino American National Historical Society proposed the idea in 1991.

A Brief History:

The Philippines has had a dark history of colonialism, previously being under Spanish rule for over 300 years before being sold to the United States for $20 million after Spain’s defeat in the  Spanish American War. During World War II, the Philippines was a battleground between Japan and the United States, leading to ample destruction and damage. The United States eventually granted the Philippines independence in 1946, and since then, the Philippines has been slowly recovering from generations of colonization.

Florida palms
Photo by Leah Kelley from Pexels

Why October?

October was chosen to commemorate the arrival of the first Filipinos in America, in what is now Morro Bay, California in the 16th century. In 2016, President Obama celebrated Filipino American History Month in the White House by sending out a special message commemorating the noteworthy impact that Filipinos have had on America. 

The Filipino Impact:

In President Obama’s special message, he recognized the immense role that Filipinos have had on America through many aspects, including the arts, education, service in the Armed Forces, labor, and much more. He commended the Filipino-Americans during World War II who stepped up to fight back tyranny and petitioned their families to join them in America through the legal immigration system, many of them waiting years to be reunited with them. Filipino-Americans are now the second largest Asian American group in the nation, as well as the third largest ethnic group in California.

The 2020 Celebration:

This year, the Filipino American History Month Theme is “The History of Filipino-American Activism.” This theme was chosen to highlight the many social justice movements that Filipino-Americans have participated in. From the United Farm Workers Movement, Anti-Martial Law Movements, and the fight for Ethnic Studies, to the vast impact Filipino American healthcare workers have contributed during this global pandemic.

Marciana Castillo

Virginia Tech '23

Marciana is a sophomore from Norfolk, VA majoring in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise with minors in Integrative Health and Wellness and Creative Writing. She aspires to become a physician and author one day. When she's not studying you can catch her watching rom coms, teaching with Hokie Wellness, sipping matcha boba, jamming to music, or playing spikeball!
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.