Style

NYFW Coverage: Kate Spade New York Fall ‘19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

A new creative director is now holding the reins of the Kate Spade New York empire. Nicola Glass, taking over the position from Deborah Lloyd, came to 2019 New York Fashion Week with a different vision for the brand that has not been seen before.

Kate Spade New York is known for the timeless feminine pieces, especially their handbags. From tote bags that fit everything and can still make a statement; to quirky handbags in the shape pineapples, dogs, phones, cats anything to add a bit of color and life. The Fall ’19 collection was very different but still carried the Kate Spade vision to “Live Colorfully.”

Glass took a different direction with that statement. “I envisioned women who are looking for clothes that are spirited, feminine, and fundamentally effortless,” she told ELLE Magazine. The collection aired on Feb 8.

The collection seems very 70s inspired, with very free and loose pieces. The common theme was knee-high boots and silk head wraps. Compared to the brand’s older collections, this seemed like an “adult” version of Kate Spade. Glass seemed to have created an older sister to the very feminine and bright colored brand.

Muted colors were an overall theme as well. Glass took “live colorfully” and lowered the volume. Instead of the usual bright pinks, greens and reds, Glass took lilacs, browns and oranges. She still managed to give this collection the distinguished Kate Spade look, by mixing those colors together in one piece.  

Via ELLE

Glass also switched up the iconic floral print that has been with the brand since almost the beginning for leopard print both in the tops and the headdresses the models were wearing.

Via ELLE

Even the handbags that can be told apart from any other handbag in the business, changed. Glass took the brand this season and made it her own. Most models carried a handbag or tote and a crossbody to showcase two pieces. Bags like ‘The Sam’, and the well-known “carry all bag” were not at the center of the collection. Snakeskin and suede bags were introduced in this collection.

Salma Hamze

George Mason University '20

Salma is a senior at George Mason currently studying Communication with a double concentration in Public Relations and Media Criticism and Production with a minor in Journalism. Family, friends and food are some of her top priorities; along with music, film and books. Reading sparked an interest in not only writing fiction but real world topics as well. She hopes to work in Public Relations and be able to travel the world one day. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta here on campus.
Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.