This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Currently a sophomore at George Mason, Amanda Snead will soon be taking over the role as President starting this fall. Snead has also held the positions of Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Chapter Advisor and Writer throughout her career with Her Campus. In order to get a better understanding of what Snead will bring to the table as president, I asked her a few questions.

When and why did you decide to join Her Campus?

AS: I joined Her Campus in the summer leading into my freshman year after seeing a post from our previous president on Facebook. I knew I was interested in writing and journalism but had limited experience being from a small town and going to a high school that didn’t even have a school newspaper. I thought it would be a good way to get involved on campus and learn more about writing. Little did I know how many amazing opportunities it would provide me.

How do you balance being on the Her Campus executive board with your other activities?

AS: Outside of Her Campus, I am involved in the George Mason Democrats, and I have an internship with the Washington Scholars Program and a full course load. Time management is so important! I have a Google Calendar where I plan out my day hour by hour and a planner where I keep track of all of my assignments. I’m also very lucky to have such a great executive board by my side and I can always count on them to help me out!

What has been your favorite Her Campus position you’ve held so far and why?

AS: I have previously served as Senior Editor and this semester I have been Editor-in-Chief. Both have been such great experiences and I have learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes in an organization such as this one.

Do you have any goals you plan on accomplishing as president?

AS: I want to keep expanding our team with hard-working and dedicated writers. We have such an amazing team right now and we are all so close; I want to keep expanding while still having a tight-knit group of people.

What are you looking forward to most during your presidency?

AS: I’m excited to work with our new executive board to make our chapter the best it can be! I would also love to start doing more partnerships with other organizations around campus. And, as mentioned before, recruiting talented new writers!

Where do you see yourself after graduation?

AS: I’m from a really small town, so I’ve always seen myself moving to a bigger city when I finish school. I’d love to continue writing articles similar to what I do now where I have the freedom to write on any topic that interests me from breaking news to my favorite beauty products.

What advice would you give to women who are also interested in pursuing a leadership role?

AS: You should try to take any and every leadership opportunity that comes your way. Not only will you learn a lot, but you will also make some really great friendships and connections for your future. However, don’t overwhelm yourself or spread yourself too thin with commitments. You have to learn how to manage your time well while still being able to be a functioning human.

To find out more information about Amanda, you can check out her Her Campus author profile or her Instagram. To keep up to date with the Her Campus George Mason, stop by the Instagram and the Facebook page.

We can’t wait for you to be our president, Amanda!

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com