edited photo of a woman holding a sign that says \"rise up\"
Original photo by Blythe Dellinger

Mason Sunrise: The Youth Led Climate Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

There are so many opportunities to get involved at Mason, it can feel overwhelming. I am passionate about social justice issues and believe that much of the responsibility of the climate crisis has been pushed onto the everyday citizen. We know that the 20 firms behind a third of carbon emissions will not do the heavy lifting, because the only heavy lifting they do is when it is related to their personal interests and potential gain. 

I saw this deflection of responsibility when I was compiling sources for this article. When I googled, “carbon emissions companies” the first result that popped up was ExxonMobil’s website on carbon capture. It was an ad of course, but the firm that has recklessly released 41.90 billion tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere since 1965 can afford to spend a little to make you think they are putting in the work.

It’s frustrating, to say the least, which is why I got involved with Mason Sunrise. I had been looking to become more involved with the Sunrise Movement for quite a while. The Sunrise Movement is a youth-led movement that aims to create jobs and protect the health of everyday people by passing the Green New Deal

The fight for climate justice is at its core intersectional. We have to fight against systemic issues like gentrification and racism in order to ensure that everyone on this planet will live to see a future we can be proud of. That is what being a part of Sunrise means to me, and what made it so appealing. 

Related: 42 Environmental Advocates You Should Know About

Often environmentalism can feel daunting and lack inclusivity. I feel that Sunrise and its principles directly combat this. We aim to listen to all voices, to work across organizations and engage our community in doing the work.

I think that reasons to become involved in social justice work is because deflection of responsibility will get us nowhere. It may seem daunting but striving for a world where all people can live comfortably, safely and happily is well worth it. It also comes down to a utilization of privilege. If you are currently in a secure and stable environment, like I am,  then you have an obligation to listen to what you can do to make sure everyone will eventually get to that point. 

Our planet simply will not survive our lifetime if people continue to sit by the sidelines. There is such power within community activism. We are stronger together. 

Get involved, collegiette!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com