Kate Tangeman: Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Year: Senior

Hometown: Winter Park, Florida

Meet Kate Tangeman. Kate in one word can be described as driven—whether that’s on the lacrosse field or in the classroom. Kate excels at being a Division 1 athlete and living a healthy lifestyle. With Kate’s busy schedule, I was able to catch up with this week’s Campus Celebrity and get the scoop on what she has planned for her last two semesters at Mason.

Her Campus: What’s it like being a Student-Athlete?

Busy! I dedicate about 3-4 hours a day to lacrosse-related activities like practice, lift, cardio and wall-ball. Some days can get pretty crazy but I’m honored to go to college and play the sport I love! Not to mention I’m on a team with 28 girls that I’d do anything for—one of which is my younger sister Lindsey, who is a freshman this year!

HC: What are you most excited about for the upcoming lacrosse season:

I’m excited for the new start, with a new coach, and new girls! With the new Athletic Director I’m excited to see the shift in the program because I know this team is going to do big things this year! And I’m excited to play with my sister during my last year!

HC: What is challenging about being a Student-Athlete?

It’s tough because you don’t get the typical college experience. Sometimes we miss out on a lot of fun things because of practice or games, but playing this sport is what I love to do! At the end of the day, I feel a sense of pride wearing the Mason logo on my chest on game day.

HC: How do you do you manage your hectic schedule?

Time management and staying organized! My best friend is literally my planner. I find myself planning out my days to a tee. After a hard practice, it’s really easy to curl up in bed and want to push off school work. So in order to avoid binge watching Netflix, I give myself some incentives to stick to my plan…I’ll usually treat myself to a cup of Yogurtini!

HC: So now we know about the athlete, let’s hear about the student part!

Well, I’m Community Health Major with a concentration in nutrition. For the future, I would love the opportunity to educate others on the topic of nutrition whether it’s through being an registered dietitian, nutritionist, or even a teacher.  My dream job would be working as a registered dietitian for a professional sports team!

HC: As a Nutrition Major what is your philosophy?

I enjoy eating healthy and I believe that you are what you eat! I start my day around 7 in the morning with a cup of coffee, smoothie and an omelet. Breakfast is the most important meal and is the foundation for your entire day. My diet consists of high proteins, lean meats, healthy fats, and lots of fruits and vegetables. 

HC: Do you have any food/health advice for our readers?

For starters it’s important to know that that everybody is different. What works for one person isn’t necessarily going to work for another so the key is finding what works for you! If you’re on a diet, don’t be afraid to treat yourself every once in a while. It’s okay to splurge!

Favorite TV shows: Real Housewives of Orange County and Mad Men

Favorite movie: Pretty Woman

Hidden Talent: Baking!—which I know is ironic because I’m a nutrition major but I have a sweet tooth! Oreo Cupcakes are my specialty.

Favorite Restaurant:  The Capital Grille or Coastal Flats 

Celebrity Crush: Leonardo DiCaprio. Oh wait—just kidding! Taylor Kitsch from Friday Night Lights.

Favorite Food: Does peanut butter count??????

Support your fellow Patriots by checking out Kate on the lacrosse field this fall at the Mason Tournament!  Go Patriots!

Currently a Junior at GMU majoring in Graphic Design with an Sport Communication Minor.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com