This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you know me, you know that Panera mac and cheese is one of my all time favorite foods. Naturally, I was thrilled when I found out that I could start making it in the comfort of my own sweatpants at home. But was it the same? Here is my honest review:

The cooking:

The macaroni itself is already made and just needs to be reheated. I opted for the stovetop option rather than microwaving it just because I thought it would taste better that way. I put the stove on a low temperature for about 15 minutes to fully heat. If you choose the microwave option it takes about three minutes.

Courtesy of Amanda Snead

The taste:

Despite the fact that the noodles were drowning in cheese sauce, they still tasted a bit dry to me and I can’t really explain it. Overall the taste was similar but definitely not exactly the same as what you get when you order in an actual Panera.

The price:

One container of this macaroni contains approximately two servings and costs about five dollars per container from Walmart, which is roughly equivalent to a large bowl of the mac and cheese from Panera for $8. If you opt for the small serving in the restaurant, it will cost you about five dollars.  Both of these serving sizes also include a side. Eating it at home without a baguette just isn’t the same.

Courtesy of Amanda Snead

The calories:

A size small from Panera is 490 calories and a large is 950 calories. One serving, equivalent to a small, of the at home version is 500 calories and two servings, equivalent to a large, is 1,000 calories. This makes it roughly the same overall as far as nutrition goes.

My final review:

Overall, I would give Panera at Home a 7/10. The price and calories are about the same and being able to order my food right from my phone and have it ready in five minutes is preferable to standing around the stove for 15 minutes while sticking your finger in the cheese to see if its hot yet (below you’ll find an actual image of me waiting for it to get done). However, I do think I would buy it again if I were at home and not a quick walk away from Panera like I am on campus.

Via Giphy

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com