I Gave Up Starbucks for Lent & This is How It’s Going

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As Lent season is coming to a close, I wanted to reflect on my current 46-day journey and how it is a living nightmare.

The night before Ash Wednesday, I thought about what I could possibly give up for the lent season. I narrowed down a list of things from red meat to sweets, all the way down to giving up every drink possible except for water. By the end of the night, I realized nothing on my list was possible. I mean, spring break was around the corner and with vacation comes food galore.

So, I thought hard. At the time, I was indulging in a venti iced caramel macchiato on my daily caffeine high and then it came to me – I must give up Starbucks and all things caffeine. Of course, at the time I thought it was brilliant idea. It would give me the chance to see how strong my body could be without caffeine; clear my face up a bit; and save me a little extra cash. My intentions were good, trust me.

Day 1

I walked passed the Starbucks in the JC before my 1:30PM sociology class and took a deep breath. I could smell the strong aroma of coffee beans all the way outside. “You can do this Brianna,” I said to myself as I held my head high sipping on my 20-ounce bottle of water.

Week 1

Week one was terrible. I begin to develop major migraines and sluggishness. It wasn’t just a here and there thing, but an everyday, non-stop excruciating pain. I literally had to pop about four extra-strength Tylenols a day while enduring the madness on campus and in my dorm building. I spent most of the first days sleeping the pain away as I contemplated was this lent challenge really worth it.

Week 2 (Spring Break)

Finally, spring break had arrived and I was going home. I thought, “Wow, now I can get away from campus and everything Starbucks and caffeine.” But, I was wrong. Unfortunately, I caught a cold over break and had to suffer from a sore throat because I couldn’t have any tea because tea equals caffeine. Around here, I think I almost cracked.

Week 3

Right after spring break, I began my new job at Student Involvement.  Of course, I got the opening shift at 9 o’clock sharp Mondays and Wednesdays, which luckily are my long days for classes. Being that I had drank so much coffee from staying up at night doing homework, I had developed extreme insomnia. From here, I knew this was a bad idea. But hey, I only have two weeks left.

Week 4

Still battling the insomnia craze, I decided to start taking melatonin. However, that was a fail too. I honestly don’t know how I managed to survive the day. I came back to my dorm and just died in my bed. By then, I had already missed a whole day of classes but I still wouldn’t give up. I got up, went to work, went to class, came home and died again. I still don’t understand how I have the energy to write this. But on the bright side, the new Dunkin’ Donuts on campus just opened up, so yay for that (not really).

Week 5 and Future Predictions

Now with one week left until I can go back to being a caffeine feind, I sit here and think, “Was this all actually worth it?” In a sense, yes, because now I have flawless skin. But mentally and emotionally – NO! This by far has been the most extreme challenge I have ever done. In all honestly, I should have just given up red meat because I barely eat it, but me being a woman of many risks, I decided this was the best choice. Will I do this again? Probably not. But I guess it was worth the journey. I’m just thankful I haven’t killed someone yet.  

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com