photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How To Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

2020 is finally upon us and that can only mean one thing: everyone making resolutions they most definitely will not keep. There are those amazing people who somehow pull it off and make it through the year, but they do not exist. With that being said, there are ways in which to maximize the possibility of you keeping your New Year’s Resolutions this year. 

One of the most significant ways to try to keep your resolutions is to make them goals instead. I know what you are thinking: “Aren’t they the same thing?” No, they are not. For some odd reason when you say “resolution,” it magically turns into a lie. But when you say “goals,” you are all of a sudden doing big things and becoming the CEO of your company. Same concept, different meaning.

Keeping New Year’s resolutions means to be completely honest with yourself. You can not do that if you are lying to yourself constantly. A thought process to go about this is to ask yourself: “Will this be something I can accomplish?” or, “Is this something I want to change?” If you can answer yes to these questions in a matter of seconds, stick to the goal. This will mean you will truly stick to it in your mind. Last year, I came up with the goal to repair my relationship with God, and I knew that was something I needed and wanted to accomplish. This was a goal I knew I would be able to do with the help of others and God himself. 

The last point I could make for keeping your New Year goals… or resolutions would be to realize that this is a year-long process, and not just a couple of months. A lot of times we are doing good for a couple of months and think we have completely changed, but that is just not true. You have to continue going forth with your goals to change your mindset, which happens after a significant amount of time. 

2020 is the start of a new decade and possibly a new you. Good luck on this journey in your lives!

Olivia Reed

George Mason University '22

Olivia Reed Just a Communications major trying to speak truth through my writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com