sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

How to Decorate for Halloween on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The time has come again and spooky season is upon us. The air is slowly beginning to chill and the feeling of fall is on the rise. This means nights-in watching Halloween movies with your besties and the smell of pumpkin spice is everywhere. We all look at the Halloween decorations Pinterest posts and just hope that one day we can have the budget for that. However, it is becoming easier and easier to decorate for less. If you are like me, you’re obsessed with Halloween and need to decorate every corner of your house immediately. Here are a few easy to access and cheap decorations for spooky season on a budget!  

1. Halloween Tassel

Via Five Below

This tassel banner is perfect for a Halloween get together or just something to decorate your room! Having simple decorations such as these are amazing and you can never go wrong!

2. Halloween Pet Hut

Via Five Below

Have a spooky pet at home in need of some festive furniture? This is a great way to decorate without spending too much cash! They need something to help celebrate too!

3. Yard Inflatables

Via Five Below

Want all of your neighbors to see how spooky you are? Decorate with one of these in your front yard or maybe even in your house. These are the perfect size if you have a smaller

yard and are battery operated so you won’t have to worry about having an extension cord!

4. Pumpkin Candle Holder 

Via Dollar Tree

Just add a tea candle and you instantly have the perfect lighting for a movie night. If you live in a dorm then you can also purchase electric tealight candles and have the same effect without the fire hazard!

Related Article: DIY Halloween Decorating Ideas

5. Halloween Doormat

Via Five Below

Continue to be spooky without having to give out your Halloween candy!

6. Halloween Yard Stakes

Via Five Below

Live in a townhouse and don’t have much of a front yard? This is the perfect decoration for limited space. Show off your Halloween spirit without the effort or hard installation. 

7. Caution Tape

Via Five Below

Keep the trick or treaters away with this spooky caution tape! They will never know the difference. 

8. Halloween Toys

Via Five Below

Having a Halloween get together? Place these at the door and offer them to guests to take as they walk in! Not only are they festive but they will remind everyone of their favorite childhood memories. 

Have friends over for a night in or carve pumpkins together! You can never have too many Halloween decorations. Get that Pinterest inspired Halloween decor and be a spooky queen. Places such as Five Below and Dollar Tree can be key when it comes to decorating on a budget. I hope this gave you a little bit of inspiration and some cost-conscious ideas for decorating this spooky season! 

Via Giphy

Mackenzie Nelson

George Mason University '21

Mackenzie Nelson is a double major in Government and International Politics with a concentration in International Relations and Russian and Eurasian Studies with a concentration in Russian Language and Culture. She is passionate about politics and loves coffee. In the future, she hopes to work in public service.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com