How to Create a Good Atmosphere in Your Dorm for Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The school year is nearing its end and, frankly, so is our motivation. It feels as if midterms and exams will never be done, let alone finals. Well now it’s time to go into boss lady mode and get to work. Getting to the library or Starbucks to do work can be hard since the weather has been crazy and unpredictable. That means you have to work in your dorm, which might not seem like a great space to motivate you. Here are a few ways to change your dorm into a calm and productive environment for getting work done!

1. Plants, plants, plants!

One of the best ways to brighten up a room and create a sense of serenity is to add as many plants as you can. Some of the best for dorms are succulents and cacti. They do well in all seasons and don’t need to be watered often. When going to the store, I also like to buy some flowers from time to time just to add a little pop of color.

Via Pexels

2. Lighting is everything

Some people might work well under bright, harsh, fluorescent lighting, but if you’re like me, you need calm and warm lighting to set the productive mood. I do this by turning off the overhead light and using other things such as string lights, desk lamps, Himalayan salt lamps and electronic candles to simulation the light of a normal candle. The combination of all of these will light up your room with the perfect amount of light without hurting your eyes.Via Pexels

Related: 5 Ways to Avoid Burnout at the End of Second Semester

3. Turn off all distractions

Put your phone on do not disturb and turn your tv off. It sets a more serious and quiet atmosphere for getting some studying in. This will set you up for better success when you sit down to do work or study. You’ll survive for a few hours without it. I promise. 

Via Giphy

4. Surround yourself with things that you love

This could be whatever brings you joy positive while studying. This could be anything from your favorite snacks to cozy blankets. One of my personal favorites is putting on fuzzy socks and making a cup of peppermint tea. It makes working more tolerable and even enjoyable.

Via Giphy

5. Comfort is key

Put on those sweatpants and baggy t-shirts because it’s time to work! When you’re in uncomfortable clothes while working, you might get distracted and even frustrated by how uncomfortable you are. Avoid the problem right off the bat and throw on your comfiest and coziest attire. You will be so much happier and it will be easier to focus and get work done.

Via Giphy

6. Do what is best for you!

If listening to heavy metal helps you relax and focus while you work, then go for it! You may like having the TV on for background noise while you work because you just can’t with silence. Bright fluorescent lights could keep someone awake and focused. Do whatever makes you happy and works for you. Everyone is unique and and so is how you prefer to study.

Via Giphy

Go get that work done and crush your midterms and finals collegiates! Don’t let this weather stop you!

Mackenzie Nelson

George Mason University '21

Mackenzie Nelson is a double major in Government and International Politics with a concentration in International Relations and Russian and Eurasian Studies with a concentration in Russian Language and Culture. She is passionate about politics and loves coffee. In the future, she hopes to work in public service.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com