This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Northern Virginia is doing it again with its bipolar weather, so why not enjoy the warmth while it lasts? We are so fortunate to live in an area that has such beautiful nature parks. There is no better way to distress from midterms and mid-semester assignments than to take a nice walk in one of the many beautiful nature parks in our area. Here are some of the top 4 nature parks relatively close by.

1. Great Falls National Park

Great Falls Park is located in two places, Great Falls, Maryland and Great Falls, Virginia. The two parks are separated simply by the roaring Potomac River. It costs 5 dollars per vehicle; the cost allows you to stay there from open to close (7 am- 6pm). This amazing national park is the perfect place to go for a hike, picnic or just some fresh air with friends or family.

2. River Bend Park

If you’re trying to save money but still enjoy long nature walks with a great view, River Bend Park is the place for you. Located in the heart of Great Falls, Virginia, it is only 1.5 miles away from the large Great Falls Park. So instead of paying to see the infamous waterfall, you can enjoy a nice long walk on the easy nature path from River Bend Park all the way to Great Falls National Park.

3. Scott’s Run Nature Preserve

Scott’s Run is located in McLean, Virginia. It is the perfect place for those of you who want to get up-front-and-personal with the water. The beautiful mini waterfall located at Scotts Run is within hands reach of the semi-difficult trail. This park is great for your Instagram pictures and to have a nice relaxing time.

4. Shenendoah National Park

For those of you willing to drive a little further for amazing views and a nice day out in nature then head on over to Shenandoah National Park is the place for you. The hundreds of different hikes you can choose from are worth the long ride – there’s something for everyone. Bring some friends, a picnic and your hiking shoes and you’re set for a perfect day in the mountains.

Hurry up and enjoy this beautiful fall weather before the cold and brutal winter starts taking over! 

photo creds: all photos were taken by Ariana Tayebi or Majid Zarkesh 

Ariana Tayebi

George Mason University

George Mason University '18
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com