IMG 5015JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 5015JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of author
Life > Experiences

Her Campus Helped Me Find My Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I grew up in a small town hanging out with the same group of friends since I was a kid. Going to college is scary enough but going to a school where the number of undergrad students is a few thousand more than the population of your entire county is terrifying. I never saw myself going to a big university but I fell in love with George Mason and decided to make it my home. 

From about second grade all the way through high school, I hung out with the same tight-knit group of friends, most of which ended up choosing other colleges. I didn’t know what to do. I’ve always seen myself as an introvert and had no idea how to make friends. 

Enter Her Campus. The summer before my freshman year, I was scrolling through one of the class of 2021 Facebook groups when I saw a post from an upperclassman saying that her organization was looking for new writers. On a whim, I applied and got in. Little did I know how much it would change my life. 

As awkward as I probably was when I first met the rest of the team, I knew I had found my home. I was passionate about writing and looking for a group of girls to call my friends and here it was. Photo courtesy of author

Little did I know during that first meeting how many opportunities Her Campus would bring me. I have been a National Chapter Advisor, been to College Fashion week twice (once as an attendee and once as a model!), attended Her Conference twice, and served on the e-board as Senior Editor, Editor in Chief and, now, President. All because I filled out an application on a whim. 9IkVC5ixe4Hwswl5PCanptkZFT3reA17r1gvVUiW95w3jVzNP0vxcT4Trmmv 2tNsZ41xw v8c8l8IInR yqwR P2HtsTA2oG Ge2xdxIkQ7gTZfeFJ 4OX MkZT3RJdj3prMNEz

Photo courtesy of author

If you are passionate about writing, PR, social media, photography or graphic design and looking to find a group of empowered, kind and talented women on campus, I highly recommend you apply so you can find your #GirlGang like I did. You can apply here from now until the end of the day on July 14th!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.