Drawing of Dwight Schurte with a pumpkin on his head in front of zodiac constellations
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia

Halloween Costumes Based on Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Halloween may be a little different in 2020, but there’s no reason to not participate in one of the most fun holidays of the year! Whether you’re planning a Halloween Zoom party or a socially-distant gathering, here are twelve ~fa-boo-lous~ costumes to wear in 2020, based on your Zodiac sign.

Related: Quarantine Halloween: How to Celebrate Spooky Season Indoors

1. Aquarius: Leslie Knope (Parks and Rec)

drawing of Leslie Knope on a pink background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia

Like Leslie, you are fun, idealistic and quick-thinking! All you’ll need to channel Leslie is her signature blonde hair (or, a wig), a blazer, a fun printed blouse and dress pants. If you don’t own those items already, you can always check out your local thrift shop. Oh, and don’t forget to grab a waffle (or three).

2. Pisces: Raven Baxter (That’s So Raven & Raven’s Home)

drawing of Raven Baxter on a purple background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Oh snaaaap, Pisces! Like Raven, you are artistic, intuitive and loyal. Raven has always had a passion for fashion, so you’ll need to bring your A-game for this costume. Luckily, all you need to do is channel the early 2000’s. Think bold prints, bright colors and mixing fabric textures (anyone remember her iconic fur trims?)

3. Aries: David Rose (Schitt’s Creek)

drawing of David Rose on a tan background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Similar to David, you are passionate, confident and determined. You don’t need to live in Schitt’s Creek to recognize David Rose’s iconic black and white outfits. Pair a black/white sweater with a long black skirt or jeans and voila- you’re now a member of the Rose family! P.S., If you’re ever bored someone made a website where you can literally mix and match David’s clothing, Barbie.com style. 

4. Taurus: Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

drawing of Katara on a blue background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Like Katara, you are kind, reliable and compassionate. To create her water-bender look, you’ll need to find a light blue dress and dark blue pants. If you’re not a master sewer, no worries- you can DIY the white parts of the dress by adding white duct tape. Or you could just buy the complete set here

5. Gemini: Sophie Sheridan (Mamma Mia)

drawing of Sophie Sheridan on a blue background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Gemini, you are a dancing queen just like Sophie! You are fun-loving, passionate and curious about the world around you. Sophie’s style can be considered a blend between Mediterranean and bohemian, so look for linen blouses, crocheted tops or denim shorts. You might have similar pieces in your closet already, but if not, a flowy summer dress like this works just as well.

6. Cancer: Taylor Swift (folklore era)

drawing of Taylor Swift on a grey backround
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Just like Taylor Swift’s new folklore album, you are imaginative, sentimental and loyal! And now that it’s officially getting colder, you can embrace folklore’s cottagecore vibes with cozy cardigans, floral dresses and midi skirts. If you want Taylor’s actual cardigan from her music video, it’s available for purchase here!

7. Leo: Emily (Emily in Paris)

drawing of Emily in Paris on a grey background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Leos, you are cheerful, creative and self-assured, just like Emily! If you’ve watched Emily in Paris, you’ll notice that her taste in fashion stems from her love of Sex and the City and Gossip Girl. Some of Emily’s looks are questionable, but one of her most chic looks is actually quite simple to achieve! Pair a buffalo checked blazer or dress with black pumps. The pièce de résistance? A red beret, of course!

8. Virgo: Tahani Al-Jamil (The Good Place)

drawing of Tahani Al-Jamil on a yellow background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Like Tahani, you are creative, detail-oriented and kind-hearted. Tahani was known for her high-class style both in the real world and in the Good Place. You don’t need an elegant designer gown to pull off a Tahani approved look— a floral dress will work perfectly. Add some flashy jewelry, a pair of heels and her iconic bangs and soon you’ll be the most popular socialite in the Good Place! (You can also shop all of her looks here.)

9. Libra: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (U.S. Representative & Activist)

Drawing of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on a grey background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia

Libras, you are idealistic, sociable and intelligent- just like AOC! She has so many iconic power outfits she’s worn in Congress and beyond: her white cape blazer from the 2019 State of the Union, her dark green suit, her bold red blazer… the list goes on. It’s safe to say that all you need to wear to emulate AOC is the best suit or sheath dress you own, along with your confidence, some gold jewelry and an activist pin or two!

Related: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Forging the Future for Women in Politics

10. Scorpio: Camille Washington (Hollywood)

Drawing of Camille Washington on a blue background
Original photo by Alexa Garcia
First off, if you haven’t watched Netflix’s “Hollywood” yet, you absolutely need to. Scorpios, like Camille, you are passionate, assertive and intelligent. To achieve the 1940’s glam that Camille radiates, you’ll need an elegant dress (preferably sequined, a faux fur stole and jewelry. Red lips are a must! Bonus if you can style your hair with pin curls or finger waves for the full Hollywood glam effect.

11. Sagittarius: Dwight Shrute on Halloween (“The Office”)

Drawing of Dwight Schrute with a pumpkin on his head
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Fact: You and Dwight are both enthusiastic, curious and independent. This year, you too can get into the spirit of Halloween by wearing your very own pumpkin head! You could theoretically buy a plastic Jack O’ Lantern and carve out the bottom to fit your head, but where’s the fun in that? You might as well just buy a large pumpkin and carve it yourself… and it should rot off in a month or two, right?

12. Capricorn: Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)

drawing of Arya Stark on a black background
Original illustration by Alexa Garcia
Like the Hero of Winterfell herself, you are strong, independent and ambitious. Although winter isn’t coming for another few months, you can become Arya Stark by layering tweed, faux fur and leather pieces like this. You can also find her actual costumes on Amazon or at your local Halloween store. 

Enjoy your Halloween, collegiettes!

Alexa Garcia

George Mason University '21

Alexa is a Foreign Languages major with a passion for writing & graphic design. When she's not writing, she's making magic through her character entertainment company @ouatpartiesdc or working on a new creative hobby. She enjoys traveling, reading & drinking iced lattes.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com