Green Mason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As we enter a new era of presidential term issues such as social injustice, employment opportunities, healthcare, and climate change will be dealt with and broken down. These grand issues have an impact on each and every single one of us yet it is hard at times to know where to begin looking for opportunities to help get involved on a personal level to contribute or improve the issue.

Here are some opportunities at George Mason University to help our school be a greener place. 

Edible Gardens

Being able to plant and harvest fruits and vegetables on your own local plot eliminates or decreases the need to purchase fruits and vegetables that travel from afar which will lower the carbon footprint. GMU has several on campus gardens that help support this aspect of sustainability which you can volunteer at. 

Keep updated with what’s going on in the GMU Potomac Garden so you can volunteer right here on campus! 

School of Art Garden

The School of Art has three different garden locations, which means there are plenty of oppportunities to join creativity and environmental efforts together. 

Child Development Center Organic Garden

College service learners, children, child development staff, and child development center parents are involved in helping the garden become a flourishing success. Learn more about the Child Development Center Garden’s goals! 

President’s Park Greenhouse

The President’s Park Greenhouse (PPG) was formerly owned by the College of Science and was used to grow plants for Biology and Ecology classes. The Office of Sustainability took ownership of the greenhouse and created a plan for year-round food production. The PPG is projected to produce approximately 2,000 lbs. of fresh produce annually. Harvests include items such as microgreens, basil, oregano, cilantro, romaine lettuce, butter crunch lettuce, amaranth, mustard greens, and many more. Presidential Park Greenhouse gives an abundant amount of opportunities to get involved through one way or another. 

Check out the George Mason University Sustainability Map to see our university’s green efforts. 

Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats