This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

There is something to be said about a show—or anything, really—that entertains us and teaches us ethics at the same time. As it turns out, there is a way to contemplate the universe and what our existence means in it without standing in the shower for 47 minutes. NBC’s “The Good Place” inspires us to be better people, for people’s sake. Don’t be kind just because you have no clue what other people are going through, do it because it’s what you should do. 

Bim Adewunmi, a journalist and producer of the podcast “This American Life” wrote an amazing article on how “The Good Place,” along with “Russian Doll,” both push us to be better people. 

In it, Adewunmi notes that the key to living life is doing it together; though we may technically leave this world alone, we get through the bad stuff collectively. We get through this crazy world by being kind to one another. 

“The Good Place” doesn’t make us feel bad about not being perfect human beings. A quote from the main character, Eleanor Shellstrop, has a clever way of making that clear: “Pobody’s nerfect.” 

Related: Here Are 5 TV Shows You Can’t Miss This Fall

The series showcases different flaws through its characters: Eleanor is selfish, Chidi can’t make a decision, Tahani is always worried about what others think of her and Jason is a straight-up buffoon. The showcase of these flaws is done in a way which is not exploitative, but rather allows for points of reflection. I can be self-centered like Eleanor, I worry in the same manner that Chidi does, I often value others’ opinions too much like Tahani and intelligence can evade me like Jason. But none of this makes me a bad person.  

The main characters all work with one another in order to better themselves. They don’t try to improve completely on their own, but instead lean on other people for help. When they feel down, they know they can ask for help in their times of need and consistently count on one another. 

I have people like that in my life. People who support me, who lift me up, who remind me that there is purpose and intention in the things I do. They all help me to remember that I am not in this alone. No matter what happens when my time on Earth ends, I still have them while I am here. 

Not only does “The Good Place” inspire us to recognize that humanity within ourselves and others, but this show is funny as fork! The creator, Michael Schur, is known for other hits such as “The Office,” “Parks and Recreation” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.” This proves he can be trusted when it comes to making a funny show! What is better than learning and laughing at the same time? Nothing, really (if you’re a nerd like me at least).   No matter if you only focus on the entertainment aspect that “The Good Place” brings, at least remember this: people can get better. We can be empathetic creatures; we can be ones who don’t hate on each other because we made a mistake—who don’t yell when we disagree—but rather have an informed discussion. In a world with so many bad things, we—human beings—can be the good things. And maybe then we’ll make this our very own good place.

Laura Scudder

George Mason University '22

Laura Scudder is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism. Originally from Chelsea, Michigan, Laura moved to Virginia to attend school at GMU to earn an education and connect with those in the DC metropolitan area. She works for George Mason's student newspaper, Fourth Estate, as a copy editor and is the president of George Mason's Society of Professional Journalists. She is beyond excited to be a writer and social media editor for Her Campus George Mason.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com