George and Gil of “Oh, Hello” Would be Perfectly Happy to Host the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Kevin Hart was originally set to host the 2019 Oscars, but stepped down after some old tweets using homophobic language resurfaced. Many celebrities have shown their support, but not everyone feels the same way.

So who is going to host the show now?

Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland have stated on Twitter that they would be more than willing to take on the job.

Via Giphy

These are characters played by comedians John Mulaney and Nick Kroll on their Broadway show “Oh Hello,” named after the duo’s tendency to say the phrase at the exact same time. The show was inspired by two real life men that Mulaney and Kroll saw at The Strand bookstore buying two copies of the same book.

Gil and George are two 70 year old roommates who describe themselves as “two legendary bachelors who live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.” George is “the type of man you would catch at a party going through the coats” and Gil is a “Tony Award viewing actor.” The characters were popularized by “The Kroll Show” on Comedy Central in which they appeared in eleven episodes, in addition to other shows such as the critically-acclaimed “Portlandia.”

Their show first started as an off-broadway play at the end of 2015, but the show became incredibly popular and actors decided to take it on the road. In September of 2016, the duo began a 15 week staging at the Lyceum Theatre on Broadway.  

Via @johnmulaney on Instagram

Since Hart stepped down from his role as host, there has been much speculation as to who the new host will be. Both celebrities and viewers of the show have taken to Twitter to let the world know who they would like to see and “Oh, Hello” fans are very insistent that Gil and George host the show since their announcement on Twitter on November 7th stating that they “were asked to host the Oscars and have accepted.”  

Via @ohhelloshow on Twitter

Will they host the show? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, you can get your fill of Gil and George by checking out their special on Netflix! Want more Kroll and Mulaney? Make sure to add their show “Big Mouth” to your binge list over winter break!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it."