Freshman Diaries: What You Really Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Let’s face it. High school does NOT prepare you for the craziness that is college. There are embarrassing moments, first-hand mistakes, and the drive to try everything at once. Breathe. It’s easy to get caught up in the hoopla and forget about your GPA. Looking back on my first semester of college, my experiences have taught me a lot. Hopefully my advice will help you collegiettes make a smooth and fun transition into the best four – or more – years of your life!

Attend ‘welcome week’ and campus events. Going to on-campus events has it perks. There’s free food and giveaways, and who doesn’t love free stuff? You’ll have the chance to experience the campus vibe and make new friends in the process. And don’t worry, more people attend then you think, so grab your roommate and go!

Learn your school’s traditions. You made it to college, so be proud of your school! Even if you’re not the peppiest doesn’t mean you can’t be a little spirited. Buy some gear, attend sporting events, and get to know traditions. This will help you feel a part of the community, especially if you’re an off-campus student. Our homecoming week is also approaching, so it’s the perfect excuse to rock that GMU gear!

Take your intro classes seriously. These classes will feel like a blast from the past. Classes will drag on, but don’t blow them off! Intro classes are beneficial in boosting your GPA before you start taking 300 and 400 level classes. Talk to your professors, get involved in class discussion, and go to class.

It’s OK if you don’t make a ton of friends. I remember everyone was worried about making friends and being liked. It takes away from the true college experience. Just be YOU! Go with the flow, be friendly, and be accepting of others. Everyone is in the same boat. You will cross paths with people you may not seem compatible with, but you will find some of your closest friends.

Call your family. You’re never too old to phone home! It’s comforting to speak to your parents, siblings, or friends from back home. Tell them about your experiences, and ask for their advice. It’s totally normal to get homesick, but don’t get too caught up with feeling lonely and pitying yourself.  Break out of your comfort zone, and get out there! You’ll thank yourself later.

Try not to overload on credits. Don’t be an overachiever your first semester of college. Take around 15 credits, and enjoy the classes you’re in. This will build your GPA, and they’ll help you get adjusted to college material.

Learn to say “no”. I cannot stress this tip enough. Learning to say no is important in college. Don’t let people take advantage of you. Don’t fill your schedule with extra-curricular activities. Most importantly, don’t volunteer for too many activities that you can’t handle. Trying to please others is not worth it when your grades sink and your stressed out 24/7. Choose one or two clubs your truly passionate about and devote your time responsibly between them. 

Take care of yourself. With all the excitement going on around you, you should still remember to take care of yourself! If you’re going on empty, you should relax, take a nap, go for a walk, hit the gym, load up on fruits and veggies, and most importantly do things that make you happy. Being happy with yourself and your surroundings will make you a successful student. 

Photos courtesy of: http://gomason.cstv.com/trads/…

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com