Style > Beauty

Dry Skin Season is Here and Neutrogena is Coming to the Rescue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

In 2020, we really don’t have time to worry about how dry our skin looks while we’re busy lady-bossing. Rapidly dropping temperatures mixed with northern Virginia wind can leave a lot of us with dehydrated and stiff-feeling skin. But don’t worry, Neutrogena’s got your back (or should I say your skin?) this winter.  

I’ve been using Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost skincare line for about six months now and I can never look back. All of the products in the line are made with hyaluronic acid, which hydrates your skin by reinforcing the skin’s moisture barrier that can become dry from things like stress and not drinking enough water. My favorite items from the line are the water gel moisturizer, the body gel cream, the gel-cream exfoliating cleanser, and the hydrogel mask. To give it a fair review, I’ll review each product separately and discuss its performance. Let’s get into it. 

1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($21.49)

This is the first product from their Hydro Boost line that I ever picked up. I had been struggling with dry skin for a while and regular moisturizers weren’t cutting it. I also have a pet peeve about moisturizers that are thick and don’t quickly settle into the skin. After using it for one day, I already saw a change in the hydration of my skin. My skin loved it and slurped the moisture right up. Because it’s a gel moisturizer, it is never too heavy on the skin and it absorbs easily so it never feels like there’s a leftover residue on my face. The price is listed on their website as $21.49 which is pretty steep, but I get mine at Target for $14.49!

2. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Face Mask ($3.49)

This hydrogel face mask is a LIFE SAVER. I like to use it when my skin is feeling especially dry, at the start of winter or if I’m sick, for example. I particularly enjoy this face mask because the material is not a sheet mask made of paper or a mask that you have to spread onto your face. It’s a jelly-like sheet that easily peels on and off, only getting stuck to itself minimally (something I hate about paper sheet masks). After leaving it on for about 15 to 20 minutes, I peel it off and rub the excess into my skin. It’s quick to settle in and leaves my skin feeling uber-soft and looking plumper. 

3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Daily Gel Cream Exfoliating Cleanser ($9.99)

This face wash works absolute wonders when following the Hydro Boost regimen. It works into a thin lather that washes away effortlessly. The little beads gently exfoliate away daily dead skin and leave my skin feeling refreshed. I like to follow it up with a toner and the Hydro Boost facial moisturizer to get the most out of the exfoliating factor. 

4. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Body Gel Cream ($8.99)

This is my most recent purchase from the collection. Like facial moisturizers, I hate when body lotions feel heavy or feel like they leave a residue on the skin without properly absorbing. So I decided to put the body gel-cream to the test, and to no surprise it is amazing! Like the moisturizer, it dries down right away and I can go about my day without feeling sticky. I even used this on a new tattoo and it sped up the healing process because of the intense moisture. 

Overall, the Hydro Boost line is simply wonderful, and possibly the best part is its affordability. The whole line is fragrance-free which is awesome for those who are bothered by scents. High-end brands found in department stores don’t perform as well as these products in my opinion. 

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced, intensely hydrating skincare line, I strongly recommend trying Neutrogena Hydro Boost and putting it to the test, collegiettes!  

P.S. If anyone from Neutrogena is reading this, we need a Hydro Boost lip balm ASAP!

Jordyn Salmon

George Mason University '22

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com