This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If my review could be one word, it’d be “disappointing.”

Over the summer, it was announced that Disney would be opening a store within 25 Targets across the country on October 4, 2019, with more to come within the following year. Shoppers could expect more than 450 products, 100 of which were previously only found in Disney stores. Toys, displays, music, and a “cozy seating area” for families to watch Disney content within the 750 square feet of Disney haven. The major draw seemed to be the new Frozen 2 and Star Wars merch. The second day the Disney store opened in the Leesburg Target, I drove almost an hour to see what it was all about. 

Upon first walking into the store, there was a small section within feet of the entrance, with Frozen displays hanging from the ceiling. First reaction: This isn’t all it is, is it?!

Via Alyssa Cole

There were children’s clothing, decor, toys, and a knee-high Sven figurine, attached with his own carrot. I loved Frozen, but have been a bit behind in the Disney news – this turned out to be just a sample section of the previously boasted Frozen 2 selection. Traveling further back into the store, I saw rotating Mickey ears shining high above the toy section (I may have sped up the pace upon that sight!) and soon heard the soothing sound of Cinderella’s “Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo”. 

Via Alyssa Cole

Here is where we see… four shelving units of merch. I’m not usually good with visualizing sizes, but this space did not feel like 750 square feet – or anything at all that I expected.

A small castle display with a TV was playing some sort of video of the animation process of characters, and a two-adults-at-most red bench was seated in front of it with a Target dog figurine attached. 

Two sections of the space were entirely Frozen. One shelving unit for Star Wars, and two featuring Minnie Mouse, Toy Story, Disney princesses, and mugs and sweaters. 

My coolest find: the 2019 Holiday Barbie (which is also found in the, um, entire Barbie aisle in the toy section). 

The biggest disappointment? There were no Disney ornaments. The only two adult items were the mugs and sweaters. When it comes to a multi-million dollar franchise that has obsessive fans at every age, it was a little… boring. Not to mention severely lacking. The clothing items, accessories, figurines, and obviously toys, were directed towards the children. Great, the kids get more toys, but these companies should have been far more prepared for the number of adults that would travel to their store solely for this collaboration. I saw two children walk through that section the entire time we were there. 

This could have been executed so much better if they really wanted it to – but maybe it was just too rushed. Leesburg is an odd location for one of 25 stores in the country, so hopefully, the larger populated areas are not as disappointed. I’ll save you the trip: just shop online.

Via Alyssa Cole

Via Alyssa Cole

Via Alyssa Cole

Via Alyssa Cole

Alyssa Cole

George Mason University '22

Aly is in her second year at George Mason University. She is a proud vegan and enjoys hiking, working out, and cooking. She is studying Government and International Politics, with hopes of becoming a Foreign Service Officer alongside starting her own business.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com