This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We all know that online dating has been around for a while, but when it’s all you have because of quarantine it can be difficult to find ways to have dates with your significant other or even hang out with your best friends. I’ve come up with a few ways that you and your partner can have some dating fun even if you’re a hundred miles away. 

1. Become penpals

I know this might seem a bit pointless since we do live in the 21st century and have an abundance of ways to communicate electronically. That being said there’s just something special about getting a handwritten letter in the mail. Plus, if you keep them there will be a cute little stash of love letters to read through one day in the future! You can even send each other little crafts or pictures as a cute surprise. 

2. Watch a movie or show together

A lot of couples have a show they like to watch or they go out to see movies together, well now that we’re all inside that doesn’t have to stop. There are plenty of ways that you can go about this one. You can live text as you’re watching at the same time or you can set up a zoom call and share your screens on your laptop so that you’re watching the movie and seeing their face! There’s also a google chrome extension called Netflix Party that you can run and live text while watching through the Netflix platform. 

3. Have a dinner date

For this one, you and your date make your favorite dinners and set up a video chat while you eat. It’s a cute way to have a conversation and feel like you’re out together. You can even get all dressed up and put on makeup if you wanna get really fancy with it!

4. Make dessert together

After your dinner date, you might feel like ending the night with some dessert. Well, why not make it together? All you have to do is plan ahead to decide on a dessert you both would want to make and then just set up a video call and make it together. You can even have a contest to see who makes it look the best!

5. Do some art together

If you and your date are both interested in art this is a great option. Whatever you decide to make just find an online tutorial and video chat while you work on it. One option would be a paint night, just find a Bob Ross tutorial or something similar and paint along while chatting with your date.

6. Go for a walk together

With this idea, you get some fresh air and a cute date. Just head out for a little socially distanced walk around your neighborhood while video calling your significant other. You can also show each other any dogs you see on your route!

7. Play a game together

A lot of people have been rediscovering their love for games like Animal Crossing since they’ve gone into quarantine so maybe playing an online game together could be a fun way to bond! There are plenty of options out there from trivia games to strategy. They’re a great way to get a little competitive and still have fun!

8. Listen to an album together

If you and your partner are more of a music scene couple, this is a great option. Just set up a video chat and put on the same album while you listen together. It can be your first reaction to a new release or just a mutual favorite. Either way, you can have a cute little mini-concert together.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you’re having fun! Long-distance can be hard, but it won’t last forever. Soon you and your partner will be back to the way things were before we had to keep six feet between us.

Jordan Lear

George Mason University '22

Jordan is a senior at George Mason University. She's pursuing a degree in Communication with a concentration in Media Production and Criticism and a minor in Film and Media Studies. Jordan loves to hang out with her friends and try to make them laugh. She's pretty outgoing and will totally talk your ear off if you mention one of her many random obsessions.