This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

You don’t have to drive very far out of NoVa to find a Virginia you might not recognize if you’re from this area. Start heading south and the six lane highways will give way to sprawls of farmland. So, if you’re looking for a weekend getaway from city-suburb life, consider paying  Charlottesville’s Carter Mountain Orchard a visit. It’s close enough for comfort, and there’s plenty to do as fall comes into full swing.

Apples becomes available every year starting in September and stick around until the end of November. Folks are welcomed to pick apples from the trees themselves; there’s a variety of different kinds to choose from. Here’s a pro-tip: if you plan on going apple picking wear sturdy shoes and a pair of pants you wouldn’t mind getting dirty. Many of the trees are on the sides of hills, so I’ve had my fair share of falls. Red clay dirt is a tough stain to wash out! Pre-picked apples are available for purchase as well. The orchard also starts selling pumpkins and other gourds in mid-September.

Courtesy of Sarah Mae Dizon

If you’re hungry, Carter Mountain has a concessions stand with quick bites to eat. There’s also the Mountain Grill which boasts a farm-to-table menu, and then there’s the country store. There are various food items you can buy such as apple butter, different types of jams and pies, but their apple cider donuts are the best you’ll ever have. The donuts are made in-house and can be bought fresh. I’d recommend buying a half-dozen to take home.

Related: What “Surprise Vacations” Taught Me About the Thrill of Adventure

Beneath the country store is the Prince Michel Wine Shop where tastings are available. Prince Michel is a local vineyard in Madison County. If you’re not that into wine, there’s also the Bold Rock Cider Taproom; they’ve got a selection of seasonal beers and ciders.

With your donuts and cider (either alcoholic or non-alcoholic, it’s all up to you) in hand settle down on one of the picnic benches outside (or bring a picnic blanket along, which I highly recommend) and enjoy the view. The top of Carter Mountain offers a fantastic vista of Charlottesville and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Courtesy of Sarah Mae Dizon

Carter Mountain is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Charlottesville and the University of Virginia. Since the orchard closes early, I encourage you to grab dinner on Charlottesville’s Downtown Mall where you’ll find no shortage of great restaurants.

So what are you waiting for? Get a group of friends together, throw some gas money together, book an Airbnb and make the most out of your weekend. Happy fall, collegiettes!

Sarah Mae Dizon

George Mason University '21

Sarah Mae Dizon is a sophomore at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a minor in Social Justice and Human Rights. She is a proud Filipina-American who, in between cups of coffee, likes to write a thing or two.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com