Campus Celebrity: Elmer Orellana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Student by day, best dancer ever by night, Elmer Orellana is well-known all over the George Mason University campus. Whether you see him in the classroom or at one of his fraternity’s philanthrohy events, Elmer is the true definition of life of the party. With a helping hand and a smiling face, if you asked anyone who he is the answer will be yes. “Men of Honor” is not just his fraternity’s motto, but something that he exemplifies every day.  

Major:  Community Health with a concentration in Pre-Health 

Year:  Senior

Hometown: Born in San Salvador, El Salvador. Currently resides in the “804” Chesterfield, VA

HC: What brought you to Mason?

Elmer: The proximity to D.C. was one of the biggest factors that brought me to Mason

HC: What campus organizations are you a member of? 

Elmer: Vice President of Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Resident Advisor, and active member of the Hispanic Student Association. 

HC: How has Mason changed your life?

Elmer: Mason has given me the opportunity to grow intellectually and socially. I’ve had the great opportunity to have been taught by compassionate and knowledgeable professors.  I’ve met my best friends and brothers here at George Mason.

HC: What are words or a phrase that you live by?

Elmer: “For every dark night, there’s a brighter day.” –Tupac Shakur

HC: In what ways has your Fraternity better you, not only as a brother and a student, but also as an overall person?

Elmer: My fraternity has better me as an overall person because it has taught me that although we are all different we come together and have each other’s back. 

HC: If you had  $50,000 dollars and could only donate to Mason, what would you put it towards?

Elmer: If I had $50,000 dollars I would donate it to scholarships. $12,500 for first generation college students, $12,500 for fraternity males who exemplify what it means to be a Man of Honor, $12,500 for anyone studying Community Health and & 12,500 for need-based.

HC: Is there any advice to share with underclassmen, and what is it?

Elmer: My advice for underclassmen is to take everything in from their college experience. Branch out and meet some really cool people. Get involved on campus with organizations and faculty.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?

Elmer: My plans after graduation is to take a gap year. I will be working with AmeriCorp in D.C. 

Photo Credit: Facebook Photos 

Taylor Davis

George Mason University

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com