Campus Celebrity: Abigail Rubemeyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Hailing originially from Cincinnati, Ohio, “Abi” Rubemeyer has made her time at Mason very memorable. She is full of passion to succeed, all while leaving a legacy of kindness and helping others.

Name: Abigail Rubemeyer          

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio      

Year: 2017

Major: Marketing

Minor(s): Communication, Entrepreneurship

Career goals: Own my own company by 30

Reason you came to Mason: Location and Opportunities

What is your involvement within The Washington Journalism and Media Conference (WJMC):

The Washington Journalism and Media Conference is a national youth conference that is held in the summer at George Mason University. It is a conference specializing in Journalism, which was originally the career field I was interested in and brings together high school students from across the world. It is also the reason I am at George Mason University. It opened my eyes to the countless opportunities here and allowed me to fall in love with Washington, D.C. all over again. I think what I love most about WJMC is the opportunity to grow with it. I began as a correspondent in 2013, was asked back to be an intern the following year and served on the logistics team this past year. The experiences WJMC has given me are life altering and I will carry them with me for the rest of my life.

Campus Involvements:

Zeta Tau Alpha, Mason Ambassadors, Washington Scholars Intern (Office of Admissions), The Gathering GMU

Favorite memory within Zeta Tau Alpha:

My favorite memory within ZTA would be both getting my big and my little. It’s one thing to be in a sorority and have 145 sisters who support you, but another to have a family within your sorority who you know will be there through every up and down. I’ve had my big for a year now and she’s gotten me through more than one could imagine. Recently, I also got my little. She’s everything I could have ever asked for in a little sister and though she’s only been mine for a few months now, we’ve shared more laughs and experiences than I can count.

What has been in your leadership within ZTA:

Within ZTA I served as the Public Relations Chairman, where I did all the promotion for Zeta. From Facebook banners to flyers and cube painting outside of Skyline, I handled all of the event and philanthropy advertising. Being a marketing major, I thoroughly enjoyed this position and learned a lot from it. Additionally, I served as Recruitment Media Chairman. In this position I worked with the recruitment team and made the recruitment promo videos that were released the summer prior to recruitment in addition to Facebook banners, etc. While this was stressful at times, it was incredibly rewarding when recruitment came around as Zeta Tau Alpha and the PanHellenic community welcomed over 300 new members.

Future Goals:

To travel to at least 10 countries by 28, own my own company by 30, live in a major city (New York, D.C., Chicago) by 23, and live a life that is full of exploration, success and happiness

Favorite part about Mason:

My favorite part about Mason is the opportunities it holds. I have always been driven and worked incredibly hard to get where I am, from attending college a year early, to graduating in the top 10% of a class of 875. It was years of preparation that not only brought me to Mason, but prepared me for the opportunity. Zig Ziglar once said, “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation.” It is one thing to happen upon opportunity, but another to prepare for it. From the internship I currently hold in the Office of Admissions to the accessibility of Washington, D.C., Mason has provided its students with more possibilities than one could possibly encompass.

What you hope to leave as your legacy:

I wish for my legacy at George Mason University and within Zeta Tau Alpha to be that of genuine character and lively charisma. I hope to be remembered as a role model, hardworking, creative and a leader. I wish for my friends to remember me by the memories and experiences we’ve shared. And for those who don’t know me, I wish to inspire and incite through stories that may be passed down.

Dream job:

Own my own Marketing Firm that allows me to travel yet have flexible hours to one day (far down the road) raise my children and truly enjoy my family.

Favorite memory at Mason thus far:

My favorite memory at Mason thus far would be Homecoming 2014. It was incredible to see the Mason community come together to tailgate and cheer on our men’s basketball team.

Rubemeyer is an incredibly ambitious, talented, and driven young lady that contributes Mason community is a positive light.

Savannah Behrmann

George Mason University

I am a sophomore at George Mason, studying Communications with a concentration in journalism. My main campus involvements include being a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi International sorority, Mason Ambassadors, and contributing to both Mason Cable News and The Fourth Estate as a reporter. I hold a current internship in the Admissions Office, working specifically for the Washington Scholars Program. After interning for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this past summer, I realized that journalism was absolutely what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm excited for my time at George Mason and to continue adventuring the DC area! You can catch me at Starbucks.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com