This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

In this Eurocentric world, it is easy for Black History Month to go unnoticed. It is important that we all work together to try to keep it alive. Our history is important and should be shared. A month is not enough time to tell of all the greatness and tragedies, but it is all we get. With a whole month, it is insane that we and our history still go unnoticed. Here are some important things to consider when thinking of Black History Month.

When I look at Black History Month, I see so much that is still wrong in the world. The African and African American Communities have been oppressed for so many years. Slavery, although extremely important, is not the only way and time our people have been brought down. Sadly, you can see so many racist accounts of this madness today. We have had young people die, as well as older for no reason and they are still dying. Our ancestors, MLKJ, Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, W. E. B. Du Bois, the enslaved and so many more did not fight for us to still be oppressed. They fought so we can live integrated, peaceful lives.

When I look at Black History Month, I see so many accomplishments in the African and African American Community. In 2008, we had our first Black President, Barack Obama. We have seen Black excellence in the Olympics with Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles. We can see Black excellence in politics, movies, sports and so many more. When our young Black people see and learn of Black excellence, they strive to obtain it. I cannot stress the importance of Black History Month and its effect on our younger people in rough communities and how they need to see that they can be something great. It is important that we bring up our generations in sight of the good and not the bad. You can see Black excellence anywhere if you open your minds and see the importance of Black History Month.

When I look at the world, I see hurt and I see greatness. In so many ways we have improved and in so many other ways we have not progressed at all. I see how we have progressed in our movements and making them known. I also see and hear the ‘n’ word still being used without knowing its context. I encourage you all to learn more about African American culture, whether it be your ethnicity or not. It is very important that we continue to work for what our ancestors fought for; all of us, no matter your skin color. I see a broken world that can be fixed with concern and knowledge. Learn more to seek this change the Black community so desperately needs.

Happy Black History Month collegiettes!

Via Giphy

Olivia Reed

George Mason University '22

Olivia Reed Just a Communications major trying to speak truth through my writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com