Adulting 101: Everything You Wanted to Know (But Were Too Afraid to Ask)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Fact: Adult life is stressful. With great age comes great(er) responsibilities, such as jobs, taxes, and cleaning.

We asked our Instagram followers what questions they had on being an adult, or adulting, and the results were ~shocking~…

1. So HOW do you fold a fitted sheet?

I remember watching this scene on Suite Life of Zack and Cody, confused as to why THE London Tipton was struggling this hard with something that seemed so… menial. And then I grew up and had to deal with the frustrations that come with the territory. Now, I’m proud to say that I’ve become somewhat of a ~professional~ when it comes to placing bed sheets AND folding them. How, you ask? This video. (Side note: Take London’s style advice and buy yourself a set of satin pajamas. Taking a LUSHious bath and then putting them on after a long day will make you feel pampered and totally worth it.)

Via Gfycat

2. What are some practical things I need for my apartment?

While we all love thinking about buying a cute new succulent or twinkle lights for our apartments/dorm rooms, it’s also important to find your inner adult and ask yourself what you really need to be a more productive person. If you’re always losing your keys or your mail (hint: bills come in the mail, and bills are IMPORTANT), try this $10 wall organizer from Amazon. It comes in four colors, has 4.5 star reviews, and will save you some peace of mind. And then you can buy that room decor once your bills are paid on time ;) !

Via Giphy

3. Speaking of apartments, what are some must-have cleaning products?

My #1 go-to for cleaning is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. From cleaning white sneakers to dirty microwaves and literally everything in between, it’s truly magic. Who would’ve thought it would actually help me enjoy cleaning?

Via Giphy

4. How the HECK do I do taxes and how do they even work?

Taxes have to be one of the most confusing aspects of adulthood, and for whatever reason, the process of filing taxes still isn’t taught in high school. Since it’s clearly ALL about the money, let’s break it down. Designed by Alexa Garcia

Related: 5 Things Every Collegiette Needs to Know About Filing Taxes

5. How do I find the right off-campus apartment?

Finding the right apartment takes the perfect combination of luck, patience and preparation. If you’re looking to rent an apartment, you need to first decide if you’re ready for the responsibilities that come with having an apartment. This includes finding compatible apartment mates, signing a lease, and paying rent, utilities and other assorted bills. Check out this article for more detailed tips on finding the right apartment for you!

Via Giphy

You’re on your way to being a full-fledged adult, collegiette!

Via Giphy

Alexa Garcia

George Mason University '21

Alexa is a Foreign Languages major with a passion for writing & graphic design. When she's not writing, she's making magic through her character entertainment company @ouatpartiesdc or working on a new creative hobby. She enjoys traveling, reading & drinking iced lattes.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com