This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Finding time for romance in your long-distance relationship can be pretty difficult on a day to day basis, let alone on what’s supposed to be the most romantic day of the year. But this Valentine’s Day, it’s important to get creative with making the day feel special, even if you and your significant other can’t be together. So, here’s 7 ways to make your hearts feel close, no matter how many miles away you may be.  

1. Schedule a Skype or FaceTime date, maybe even over dinner or a movie.  

One of the most important things to remember in an LDR is to communicate, but most importantly, to make that communication meaningful. Amp up your communication on V-Day by having a virtual date. Enjoy the conversation over dinner or do some virtual Netflix and chill, it might help you feel like you’re having a real date and shows that you’re setting time aside for each other.

Via Burst

2. Plan to celebrate V-Day next time you two are together.

So maybe you and your S.O. won’t be able to celebrate V-Day on February 14, but who cares! As long as you make the conscious effort to plan a V-Day celebration, whether that be in a few days or in a month. And make that day different from other dates you’ve had. A great idea is to even gift your S.O. an experience that you’ll be able to enjoy together on your makeshift V-Day.

Via Burst

3. Make your S.O. a modern mixtape.

Spotify playlists are the modern version of a mixtape and they’re super easy to make and share! Make a playlist of your S.O.’s favorite songs or the songs that are most meaningful to the two of you. Music has the magic power of connecting people no matter the distance between them. Bonus points if you surprise your S.O. with the playlist in the morning so they can enjoy the music all day.

Via Burst

Related: A Long-Distance Relationship on Valentine’s Day

4. Send some sweet snail mail (or an email if that’s more your style).

I am SUCH a sucker for old time-y romantic gestures and that includes handwritten letters. It doesn’t even matter if your note is super cheesy and romantic, as long as it comes from the heart. Plus (at least for me), the whole letter opening process is just so exciting and then getting to see a handwritten note from your sweetheart makes it even better. In essence, this shows that you put in extra effort and that you care. But, if snail mail isn’t really an option for you, a timed email is a great option too. Again, just remember to write from the heart!

Via Pixabay

5. Take time to enjoy virtual ~intimacy~.  

Clarissa Silva, a behavioral scientist, says that “One of the keys to a successful LDR is to maintain healthy levels of intimacy and closeness, especially during Valentine’s Day.” So, if you’re feeling bold, send a risqué picture to your S.O. or enjoying some classic sexting to show them what they have to look forward to next time you two love birds are together. Get creative with this and have some fun! Bow chicka a wow wow.

Via Burst

6. Send an e-valentine!

If you’re not the best with your words and tip #4 doesn’t really float your boat, try out e-valentines! They can be super cheesy and fun to receive and send. Plus most of them are free, meaning they’re an excellent option for all my fellow broke college students.

Via Burst

7. Create a collage of your favorite throwback pictures and post it (with a sappy caption of course).

Not only will this allow you to walk down memory lane, but it will also spark that same nostalgia in your S.O. And while many find all the couple posts on Instagram to be annoying, especially on V-Day, they can actually be deeply meaningful for a couple in an LDR. The post can show your S.O. that you’re thinking about them and can help you both remember all the amazing times you’ve shared together.

Via Sarandy Westfall on Unsplash

I’ll be the first to admit that an LDR can be really difficult at times, but it also can be really rewarding if you both put in the effort. Instead of feeling down about not being able to celebrate V-Day together, put a positive spin on the situation and see how you can make the day still feel special from miles away.

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com