7 Ways to Celebrate Your 21st If You Hate Clubbing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

My 21st birthday is quickly approaching and I’m often asked how I plan on celebrating. Obviously, D.C. has tons of bars and clubs to visit but that just really isn’t my scene. Here are a few fun ways to celebrate the big 2-1 if clubs and bars aren’t your thing. 

1. Visit a winery

Become a sommelier for the day by touring a few local wineries and learning about tannins, legs and all of those other fancy wine terms. Find out what you actually like in a wine instead of just grabbing the first bottle of rosé you see at the grocery store. Grab some friends (who are of legal age of course) or a family member, get some cute pictures for Insta and enjoy a day outside drinking! 

Via Giphy

2. Play games and get mixed drinks and Dave & Buster’s

Along with your basic beer, D&B’s has a variety of original cocktails such as snow cones, hard lemonades and frosé! Spend the evening sipping on cocktails and challenging your friends to a round of air hockey. 

Via Giphy

3. Tacos and margs

If your birthday falls on a weekday like mine does, keep things more casual and grab some dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant! Treat yourself to your favorite flavor margarita and some tacos. Just try to keep yourself from going to class hungover the next morning. 

Via Giphy

4. Boozy Brunch

Grab your girls and head to one of the many brunch spots in D.C. (you can find a few bottomless brunch spots here)! Afterward, you can spend the day exploring all that D.C. has to offer from museums to boutiques and more, you can find something that everyone in your group will enjoy!

Via Giphy

5. Brewery tour 

If you’re a fan of beer, spend the day exploring the central Virginia area, surrounded by the mountains as you spend the day sipping on local brews. My mom was the designated driver for my family while everyone else drank but even she had a great time since there were nachos involved. You can find out more information about the tour here

Via Giphy

6. Visit a cidery 

If you’re interested in getting out of NOVA for the day, Carter Mountain is another great option located in the central Virginia area! Check out their Thursday Sunset Series and taste all of the hard cider flavors that Bold Rock has to offer! This event is also open to all ages so you can invite any of your friends! You can find out more information here!

Via Giphy

7. Stay in

None of these sound like your kind of thing? No problem! Go grab a bottle of wine, call your besties and spend the day at home having a movie marathon and enjoying each other’s company. 

Via Giphy

No matter how you chose to celebrate your 21st, stay safe and have fun, collegiettes!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com