7 Things ‘Jane the Virgin’ Taught Me About Love

A lot of people assume that since Jane the Virgin is modeled on a telenovela, it has a superficial romance plot. But oh, are they so very wrong. The topic of love is explored so deeply (even in a non-romantic way, *gasp*) in the show and it’s taught me a lot about how I personally want to love. Here are just 7 things Jane the Virgin has taught me about the mysterious subject of love.

1. “Faith is the banishment of doubt.”

My first lesson came from Alba Villanueva, a true sage in the manners of the heart. She taught me with this short little phrase that in order to have faith and trust in my boyfriend and in our relationship, I have to erase any doubt that chooses to nag at my mind. Doubts tend to be built out of personal insecurity and vulnerability, which can seriously hold you back in a relationship. BTW this also goes for self-love. We all need to have a little more faith and a little less doubt in others AND ourselves.

Via The CW

2. “When each person loves the other, as much as herself, it makes one out of many.

The original motto of the United States was, “E pluribus unum,” which as Alba explains, translates to, “Out of many, one.” This one’s not so much about romantic love, but it taught me how to love those around me in terms of respect and understanding. Love is a unifying and universal aspect of society, something we so often forget today. If we want to combat the overwhelming power of hate that seems to exist in the world, we must love one another as much as we love ourselves, so that we can create “out of many, one.”Via The CW

3. “You don’t have to talk to me, but I’m staying because we are in a relationship and people in relationships don’t leave.”

If you’re like me, it can be hard to get your partner to open up to you about their deepest, darkest feelings. And while this may be frustrating, you can’t walk away from them. In love, sometimes the most you can do to help is just be there. Because wouldn’t you want the same from you partner if the situation were reversed?

Via IMDb

4. “Well, honey, you can’t compromise who you are.”

Love isn’t love if it makes you compromise your values, beliefs, or who you are. And your partner should understand that. Even if you think that right now compromising yourself will make your relationship “work,” you’re probably not going to be happy later on knowing you’re not being true to yourself. If someone really loves you, they’ll love you for who you are.

Via Vulture

Related: 5 Life Lessons Learned From Jane the Virgin

5. “Don’t let your head get in the way of your heart.”

This one is pretty similar to #1. It’s all about those nagging doubts and that little voice in your head giving you every reason why your relationship won’t work out. While sometimes it’s smart to listen to your head, you can’t let it totally overpower your heart. I learned that sometimes you just need to tell that little voice to shut the hell up, so you can listen to your heart. Overthinking does nothing good for you and will probably give you wrinkles. So stop and follow your heart for once.

Via The CW

6. “Life is full of tough moments, you have to fight for what you want.”

In love, you’re going to face a million tough moments. But love is worth fighting for. If you really want to be with that person, you make it work. I learned that to “fight for what you want” in love, means figuring out as a couple how you can fix what is going wrong and it means not being afraid to speak up if you feel like something is off in your relationship. Fight for what and who you want in your life.

Via The CW

7. “And they keep choosing each other, in the face of every single twist and turn life brings them, every single day.”

Love is not the stuff of romance novels or telenovelas. Because love is not just a feeling, it has to be a choice. A conscious commitment to choose each other over and over again in the face of life’s obstacles. The show taught me that love is not about destiny or fate, or whatever other bullsh*t romance novels and telenovelas try to sell you. To know that you earned your happy ending, that is love.  

Via The CW