This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

After working yourself hard for those midterms, you definitely deserve a way to treat yourself and destress from everything. If you need help figuring out what you might want to do, here’s a list of ideas to help you get out of that post midterm funk!

1. Plan a date with a friend!

One way you could get a break from the stress of it all is to get out and enjoy some time with a friend! Maybe look up some local parks and pack yourselves a little picnic to enjoy the sunshine that comes with the start of spring. 

2. Get your nails done 

One thing that always serves as a way of relaxation and pampering for myself is getting my nails done. Maybe going somewhere in person to have them done isn’t possible for you right now and that’s okay too! You can always pick up a bottle of nail polish and set yourself up for a night of relaxation at home too. 

3. Movie marathon 

If you’re anything like me and you love watching movies, maybe try setting aside a night to watch a few new movies or revisit some of your old favorites. Its a great way to let yourself unwind after a long week

4. Pick up a new book

Recently I’ve rediscovered how much I really love sitting down with a new book and letting it take me out of my own head. Try calling your local library and seeing what their policies for check outs are now and then move forward from there! If you need a recommendation The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a great one!

Related Article: A Book Review of ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo’

5. Pick up a new hobby 

I’ve always been a very artsy person, so I jump at the opportunity to learn a new craft. One I’ve really been into recently is crochet. It’s a great way to relax and in the end you get something you made out of it too!

6. Treat yourself! 

If you ask anyone of my friends they’ll probably tell you I’m a sucker for some retail therapy. Whether that be supporting a small business on etsy, or maybe getting yourself a celebratory dinner, sometimes spending a little money on yourself just feels good. 

I hope these suggestions helped and remember to be kind to yourself. No matter what grades you get just be proud of yourself for trying your best! That’s really all you can do. College is hard and you’re doing great! Remember that!

Jordan Lear

George Mason University '22

Jordan is a senior at George Mason University. She's pursuing a degree in Communication with a concentration in Media Production and Criticism and a minor in Film and Media Studies. Jordan loves to hang out with her friends and try to make them laugh. She's pretty outgoing and will totally talk your ear off if you mention one of her many random obsessions.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com