The 6 Top Natural Hair Stylists in Northern Virginia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Having natural hair (African-American hair untreated by chemicals so it is in it’s natural state) is difficult in college. You have to find the time to make an appointment, you have to have the money, and you have to actually search for places to go if you’re not from the area. I brought it upon myself to look up the top six hair stylists/salons in the Northern Virginia area via StyleSeat that specialize in natural hair style options, but also do every other hair type as well! I set the criteria for what I need as a broke college student (which is proximity and affordability) along with maintaining great business practices and amazing sample photos.

1. Tiyana @ TYE’s Hair Studio

Tiyana specializes in haircoloring, weaving, and natural hair services but has a full array of offers for other services on her page. Located in Woodbridge!

Photo credit: Style Seat

2. Kinetra @ The Village Hipster

Kinetra has a passion for hair of all types but has a special interest in the health of natural hair! Located in Alexandria!

Photo credit: Style Seat

3. Mikelia @ Edge by Mikelia

She has been in the industry for over 10 years in the DMV area where she has mastered all styles and types but her speciality is makeup and hair extensions. Located in Springfield!

Photo credit: Style Seat

4. Melanie @ Posh + Industry

Melanie is a jack of all trades when it comes to hair, working with all types and ethnicities. She began her hair styling career in the company of New York’s who’s who in the Upper East Side (think Gossip Girl)! Located in Alexandria!

Photo credit: Style Seat

5. Natural Hairess and Co.

This salon specializes specifically in natural hair and natural styles that embrace the beauty of natural hair as well as helping people transition from chemically treated, relaxed hair in a no judgement enviroment! Located in Woodbridge!

Photo credit: Style Seat

6. Ashley @ The Vixen Suite

She has a speciality in weaves and loves how you can experiment with them while keeping your natural hair healthy. She is a little bit farther away from us and she charges a 10 dollar upcharge for thick/natural hair (which is kind of rude). “Oh hey, your hair is too thick, I’m going to charge you extra thanks”. Located in Hyattsville, Maryland.

Photo credit: Style Seat

Hopefully if you’re reading this in hopes of finding a new hair dresser, you’ve seen someone you’d like! This search has really helped me narrow down choices and help me love my natural hair!  

All opinions are her own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus George Mason

Courtney Spencer

George Mason University

Courtney is a Public Relations major at GMU and the Editor for Her Campus here. She hails from Chesapeake, Virginia, the #3 most boring city in the country. As a sophomore, she has already achieved #1 A-list fame in the Kim Kardashian: Hollywood game. As a Junior, she has already achieved a twitter follow from Aly and AJ, so basically her life is set. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can be found on Tumblr, Instagram, or Twitter probably droning on about Harry Styles or puppies (but not all the time so follow me! @cspencerr). If you see her around campus, don't be shy, say hi!
Kayla Hanigan

George Mason University

Currently a Senior majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Mild Disabilities. A member of Alpha Phi sorority, Serengetee Campus Rep and a part of Leadership and Community Engagement LLC. Most likely found obsessing over Goats