6 Things to Do Around Northern Virginia This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Whether you are a DC/Northern Virginia native, or if you’re stuck in the area for an internship or summer classes, here are few fun things to do. All of these ideas are fun, worthwhile, and totally Insta-worthy!

1. Days at the Ballpark

You don’t have to be an avid baseball fan to cheer on the Washington Nationals.  This patriotic pastime brings together friends and families for a fun event and ballpark junk food under the hot sun, and is just a short Metro trip away from NOVA!

2. Independence Day in DC

Following the theme of patriotism, what better place to celebrate the 4th of July than in Washington DC? The entire day is packed with fun events and promotions all over the city. The DC Metro is nearly inaccessible that day, but enduring the struggle is worth it for free concerts on the National Mall and a spectacular firework show for all in the evening.

Related: http://www.hercampus.com/school/george-mason/5-things-you-need-do-dc-fall

3. Truckeroo!

Truckeroo is a monthly food truck festival held at Fairgrounds, just outside Nationals Park. The festival features popular food trucks from all over DC, as well as live music and entertainment! Not only are there fantastic food trucks with food, but there are all kinds of drinks as well!

4. Pay a Visit to Great Falls Park

(photo by Nancy Nyamaa)

Whether you are going for a hike, or to picnic, Great Falls Park is the perfect spot! Each overlook features a beautiful view of the Potomac, and each part of the trail has something to see. It’s also the perfect spot for outdoor Summer gatherings!

5. Berry Picking Bliss

With multiple farms located near or around the Northern Virginia area, it’s hard to pass up the opportunity to spend the day picking berries. With delicious fruits like strawberries and blueberries in season, this is a perfect way to spend the day. This website has a list of farms and their seasonal updates. It’s a great way to get some sun and of course, to shop locally (always a plus)!  

Related: http://www.hercampus.com/school/george-mason/inside-crumbs-and-whiskers-cat-caf-georgetown

6. Days in Georgetown

Georgetown is a popular spot for doing some shopping, seeking yummy food, or just to walk around. Visitors can treat themselves to Georgetown Cupcakes, stop by DC’s Cat Café, or drop in for some lunch. No matter what you choose to do, Georgetown will not disappoint!

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com