samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons to Take Summer Courses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As tempting as it may be to sit back and relax for a few weeks, summer is valuable time for undergrads! If you’re interning or working, you have the benefit of taking online courses in your spare time! Take a class that interests you and maybe you’ll find something new that you love!

1. Get ahead

Taking one or two courses over the summer gives some much needed breathing room when it comes to your fall and spring schedule. This could leave you with only 12 or 15 credits and time to focus on important classes rather than overloading yourself with 21 and living entirely off of coffee.

2. Catch up

Sometimes you register for a class and end up dropping it the first day for a variety of reasons. Maybe it wasn’t what you expected or you knew you wouldn’t click with the professors teaching style. That’s entirely fine, but it may put you behind in your graduation plan. Take advantage of the summer courses with different professors than they usually offer in the regular academic year.

3. Finally take something that interests you

So you’ve always wanted to take print making or a politics class, but it never fit in to your schedule. Now is the chance! Mason also offers a variety of specialty outdoor classes like hiking and yoga that can give your summer break a little bit of adventure.

4. Get certifications

Get ahead in the job market with an extra certification, whether it’s in IT or event/wedding planning. Find a course that can help set you apart and show you took the initiative to learn something new or be productive during your vacation.

5. Pick up a minor

Just like certifications, any extra education helps make you look more appealing to employers. Many only require an extra four or five classes, so you can spread it out over a few summer semesters

6. Study abroad

Walking the streets of Venice or Paris suddenly sounds more appealing that watching your tenth episode of Grey’s Anatomy on your couch. Travel the places you’ve always dreamed about and get college credit for it!

Summer registration is open now! Log into Patriot Web before courses are full!

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com