This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We’ve entered the month of April, which means that Earth Day is fastly approaching! There are many ways that you can celebrate our planet, from cleaning your community, reducing your carbon footprint, even just going for a hike. Another great way for you to get involved is to spend some time learning about the world- and issues- around us. My current favorite way to do this is through podcasts. Whether I’m doing homework or out for a walk, podcasts are the perfect medium to immerse myself into interviews and stories that confront major environmental and social injustices of the world and gain a better perspective on things.

To hopefully inspire you to continue to ask questions and seek knowledge about the world around us, here are 6 podcasts to add to your Spotify queue this Earth Day. 

1. How To Save a Planet 

One of my current favorites, “How to Save a Planet” features marine biologist and author Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and journalist Alex Blumberg as they investigate climate solutions and how we can actually accomplish them. The series has tackled topics ranging from the actual impacts of recycling to starting a sustainable kelp farm. What makes this podcast stand out especially is despite the realistic explanation of climate issues, the team presents them in a way that gives you hope that things really can change if we want them to. 

2. Breaking Green Ceilings

Looking to hear from more diverse voices in the environmental field? Join “Breaking Green Ceilings” host Sapna Mulki as every week she interviews environmentalists from marginalized and underrepresented groups in the field. Just as the title suggests, this series works to break that green barrier in the field, inviting experts, professionals, activists, scientists who are from the Black, Indigenous, LGBTQ+, Disabled and People of Color communities. I really enjoy this podcast because it allows you to hear diverse perspectives and experiences and completely goes against the idea that there is only one image of an “environmentalist.” 

3. The Red Nation Podcast

I’ve recently been getting into this one and just recently actually got to listen to an episode for a class! “The Red Nation Podcast” hosted by Nick Estes and Jen Marley shines the light on Indigenous histories, cultures, and politics, all from Indigenous perspectives. The show features guests from around the world and introduces audiences to the issues that are and have been affecting Indigenous communities and peoples for hundreds of years. “The Red Nation Podcast” additionally takes a deeply critical view of current societal structures in place and covers topics including the genocide of Indigenous peoples, settler colonialism, the Land back movement, and reconciliation.

4. Drilled

If you’re looking for an investigative journalism thriller coupled with environmental justice, then look no further than “Drilled.” Hosted by journalist Amy Westervelt, each season (there are currently 5) delves into a case of environmental injustice in the fossil fuel industry and the propaganda in place that covers them up. Seasons have covered topics relating to the corporate creation of climate denial, activists suing big oil companies, and the Indigenous fight against destruction in the Amazon.

5. Dismantled 

A relatively new show, “Dismantled” is a podcast created by the team behind the media and resource hub Intersectional Environmentalist. Each episode the podcast features members of the IE team in conversation with each other and guests about topics relating to intersectionality and the environmental movement. Ranging from their own journeys into the EJ world to issues in the space and solutions, “Dismantled” provides a gateway into learning more about what it means to be intersectional and how to join the fight.

6. Code Switch

Though not strictly an environmental justice focused podcast, “Code Switch” tackles many of the issues and themes that are essential to achieving true environmental justice. Produced by NPR (so you know it’s going to be good) and hosted by a diverse team of journalists including Shereen Marisol Meraji and Gene Demby, the series focuses on race and how it impacts every aspect of our society. With fantastic storytelling and important topics, each episode has you uncovering something new about everyday things and events and by the end leaves you thinking differently about the world around you.

This of course is just the tip of the iceberg of all of the podcasts out there that cover topics relating to environmental and social justice. Hopefully, these can be a good starting place for you as you start to dive into these topics, or something to add to your already well stocked library and rotation. So what are you waiting for? Grab your earbuds and start listening!

Olivia Garcia

George Mason University '22

Olivia is a senior studying Environmental and Sustainability studies with a concentration in Conservation and minors in anthropology and GIS. She is interested in environmental and conservation communication and education. Olivia enjoys writing about the environment, culture, and social justice issues, and the intersections between them. Aside from school, she enjoys reading, hanging out with friends, and exploring DC.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com