This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching! A fact I’m sure that most of you are aware of, considering the copious amounts of roses, teddy bears and pink treats that are currently out for display. Whether you love the holiday or find yourself more cynical about it, Feb. 14 will always arrive in its full, heart-shaped glory. And in truth, there is no better day to celebrate one of the most universal human emotions- love. 

If you are searching for a way to get into the Valentine’s Day spirit, look no further than these six heartwarming flicks. No matter who you decide to watch them with– your significant other, your friends, or yourself (in a hydrating face mask) — you are sure to feel the love.

1. “The Princess Bride” (1987)

“The Princess Bride” has got it all- true love, adventure, magic, and even Rodents of Unusual Size. The film, which is based on William Goldman’s novel of the same name, has been captivating audiences for over thirty years. Told by a grandfather (Peter Falk) to his grandson (Peter Savage), “The Princess Bride” follows the epic tale of Westley (Cary Elwes) and Princess Buttercup (Robin Wright). After the two are separated by circumstance, a fantastical adventure filled with pirates, sword-fights, and mythical obstacles brings them back together after years apart. This cult classic will have you laughing throughout its entirety and make you a believer in true love by the time the credits roll.

Gif of a character from the Princess Bride saying \"As you wish\"
Giphy

Via Giphy 

2. “Clueless” (1995)

Loosely based on Jane Austen’s classic novel, “Emma”, this 90’s classic follows highschooler Cher Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone). Cher has a knack for three things: debating, shopping, and match-making. But her shallow nature and obsession with popularity constantly makes her the subject of ridicule around her ex-stepbrother, Josh (Paul Rudd). Motivated by her own self-interest, Cher decides to set up two of her teachers. When her plan succeeds, Cher takes a new student named Tai (Brittany Murphy) under her wing. But when Tai’s popularity begins to exceed her own, Cher begins to reevaluate what’s important to her and unexpectedly falls in love along the way. With a star-filled cast and so many quotable moments, “Clueless” is sure to become an instant favorite.

Gif from the movie Clueless
Giphy
Via Giphy

3. “You’ve Got Mail” (1998)

Can you really go wrong with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? Bookseller Kathleen Kelly’s (Meg Ryan) livelihood becomes threatened when a corporate chain bookstore moves across the street from her workplace. Upon meeting its owner, Joe Fox (Tom Hanks), she concludes that she absolutely despises him. But unbeknownst to the pair, they soon begin an online romance, blissfully unaware that they are falling for their biggest business rival. Just like they did in “Sleepless in Seattle”, Hanks and Ryan prove once again that their acting chemistry is undeniable in this heartwarming rom-com.

Gif from the movie You\'ve Got Mail
Giphy
Via Giphy

4. “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999)

Abrasive teen Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) warns off potential romance fairly easily. Unfortunately, her tempestuous nature doesn’t bode well for her younger sister, Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), who isn’t allowed to date until Kat has a boyfriend. When a plan is orchestrated to free Bianca from this precondition, Kat finds herself being pursued by the mysterious Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger). As Kat begins to let her guard down, Patrick soon realizes that there’s more on the line than just money if Kat finds out the truth. A modern retelling of Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew”, this 90’s favorite is chock-full of both hilarity and heart.

Gif from the movie 10 Things I Hate About You
Giphy
Via Giphy

5. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (2003)

When Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) finds herself dissatisfied with her job as a journalist, she pitches an unconventional idea to her boss. She plans to center her next article around a social experiment to see what it takes to make a man disinterested in a woman within a span of ten days. When she crosses paths with Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey), she knows that she has found the perfect subject. But little does Andie know that Ben is trying out his own experiment- to make any woman fall desperately in love with him in ten days. When the two begin a romantic relationship, both of their experiments end up taking an unexpected turn. With hilarious performances from both Hudson and McConaughey, “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” has cemented itself as one of the most loveable rom-coms of the early 2000s.

Gif from the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Giphy
Via Giphy

6. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” (2018)

Based on Jenny Han’s best-selling novel of the same title, this film follows introverted high school junior Lara Jean Covey (Lana Condor). A true romantic at heart, Lara Jean has written a love letter (address and all!) to every boy she has ever hopelessly crushed on during her adolescence. But when these private letters are mailed out without Lara Jean’s knowledge, she must deal with the inevitable fallout. Even worse? Her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh (Israel Broussard), and the uber-popular Peter Kavinsky (Noah Centineo) are two of the five recipients. Much to Lara Jean’s surprise, Peter offers her a proposition- feign a relationship with him to spite his ex-girlfriend, Gen (Emilija Baranac). But as Lara Jean and Peter grow closer, the line between what’s real and what’s fake becomes much harder to discern. There is no better time to stream this sugary-sweet flick- it’s sequel hits Netflix Feb. 12!

Michael Scott You Complete Me gif
Giphy
Via Giphy​

Wishing you all a lovely Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com