Culture > News

The 6 Biggest Bombshells from Oprah Winfrey’s Interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

On Mar 7., millions tuned in to watch Oprah Winfrey’s one-on-one interview with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. The CBS Primetime special sparked an incredible public stir, racking in 17.1 million views in the U.S. alone and inspiring supplemental online discourse. As Winfrey made clear in the opening minutes of the special, nothing was off-limits and the Sussexes did not hold back from discussing matters of the Royal family, public scrutiny, and their son, Archie.

What topics shocked audiences the most? What prompted fallout days after the special initially aired? Let’s recap.

1. Meghan denies rumors that she made Kate Middleton cry, stating it was the reverse.

Early on in the special, Winfrey brought up rumors of an altercation between Markle and the Duchess of Cambridge before the 2018 Royal Wedding that left Middleton in tears. Markle confirmed that the story was fabricated, stating that it was the reverse that occurred. Markle continued saying, “and I don’t say that to be disparaging to anyone, because it was a really hard week of the wedding, and she was upset about something. But she owned it, and she apologized and she brought me flowers and a note apologizing.” Although Markle went on to say that the Duchess of Cambridge was a “good person,” the utter candor in Markle’s first response indicated that further bombshells were soon to come.

2. Meghan struggled with suicidal thoughts.

In one of the most heartrending moments of the interview, Markle revealed her struggles with suicidal thoughts while pregnant with her son, Archie. “I just didn’t want to be alive anymore,” she told Winfrey. “I thought it would have solved everything for everyone.” After revealing the extent of her thoughts to Prince Harry, Markle asked within the palace for help. She was ultimately told that seeking treatment “wouldn’t be good for the institution.” To Winfrey, she echoed, “there’s nothing we can do to protect you because you’re not a paid employee of the institution.”

3. Meghan and Harry were already married on the day of the Royal Wedding.

While showing Winfrey Archie’s “Chick Inn,” the Sussexes revealed that they were already married on the day of the Royal Wedding in 2018. As stated by Markle, the couple shared a civil ceremony three days prior in their backyard with Bishop Canturbury. While the great spectacle of their Royal Wedding was “planned for the world,” their backyard ceremony was purely for the Sussexes.

4. Meghan revealed that there were “conversations” with Prince Harry about Archie’s skin color.

In arguably the interview’s most talked-about moment, Markle revealed that while she was pregnant with her son, Archie, there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he was born.” Winfrey later clarified to CBS that these comments had not been made by either Queen Elizabeth II or Prince Phillip. However, neither Markle nor Prince Harry named the true source of these comments. On the matter, Markle stated, “we have in tandem the conversation of, ‘He won’t be given security. He’s not going to be given a title.’ And also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

5. The couple has been cut off financially from the Royal Family and Prince Charles was not taking Prince Harry’s calls.

When Prince Harry joined Markle in the interview’s second half, he revealed that he had been cut off from the Royal Family at the beginning of 2020. Before the couple’s current deals with Spotify and Netflix, they were living off Prince Harry’s inheritance from his late mother, Princess Diana. Prince Harry also made a quick quip at his father, Prince Charles, stating that the Duke of Cornwall had “stopped taking his calls.” On the current state of their relationship, he said “Of course, I will always love him, but there’s a lot of hurt that’s happened. And I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that relationship.”

6. The couple revealed that they are expecting a baby girl!

When joined by Prince Harry, Markle also revealed the exciting news that the couple is expecting a girl this upcoming summer. The child will be the couple’s last, with Harry telling Oprah “two is it.”

The shocking interview prompted quite the fallout, including hilarious Twitter memes, clashing public opinions, and responses from the Royal Family. An official statement from Buckingham Palace on behalf of the Queen wrote, “the issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.” The statement continued, stating, “while some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.” On Mar. 11, Prince William also responded to the media saying, “We’re very much not a racist family,” and that he plans to speak with his brother on the matter.

One thing is for certain, the Sussexes are no longer — as Oprah articulated so brilliantly — si~LENCED~. And all we can do across the pond is sit back and watch the tea spill.

Watch Oprah With Meghan And Harry: A CBS Primetime Special here.

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com