mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Make Move-Out Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

After two semesters of all-nighters and Netflix binges, it’s time to say goodbye to the tiny room that’s become your home. Make the move out process easier with a few easy tricks:

1. Start early

There is nothing worse than the stress of finals and packing up eight months’ worth of free tee shirts the last week of the semester. Start packing a few weeks ahead of time, starting with winter clothes if you haven’t already taken them home. Box up a little bit each week and ship it or drive it home if you can. The less to deal with on move-out day, the better!

2. Donate and sell your stuff

Let’s be real, trips to Target and the mall have led to some impulse purchases. You’ve had your first real taste of freedom and still have some work to do on financial responsibility. Donate that top you bought and never wore or those shoes that aren’t practical for walking across campus. If you haven’t worn or touched it since fall semester, send it off to a new home.

3. Deal with the food

Quit buying food except for the essentials and eat whatever hasn’t expired on your shelf. Try to use up whatever bonus money you have left on your meal plan and take advantage of those unlimited swipes at the dining hall.

Pro tip:

De-frost your mini fridge! Do this at least two days before you plan to move it anywhere or officially check out of your room.

4. Pack strategically

If you’re coming back to campus in the fall, pack with purpose. Box up things you won’t need for the summer together like your shower caddy, wall decorations and mattress pad. Clearly label stuff you’ll need for the summer and what can be shelved until August. If you live far away, consider renting a storage unit next to campus so everything will be waiting nearby when school starts again.

Pro tip:

Leave clothes you won’t need on hangers and pull garbage bags over them. This leaves them clean and protected so you can hang them anywhere until you move back.

5. Deep clean

Housing is expensive and if you’re not careful, you can rack up some serious fees. Avoid that by giving your room a deep clean and leaving it better than you found it. Vacuum the carpets and scrub the mysterious marks that have accumulated on the walls.

Pro tip:

When you move in somewhere, take pictures of how it looked originally so you can compare during move-out and you’re not reliable for previous damage.

Only a few more weeks collegietes! Power through and you’ll be back home soon enough!

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com