This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Graduation is a milestone in so many people’s lives, and it deserves to be celebrated. COVID-19 may have taken many things from us, but our graduation won’t be one of them! Luckily, some schools have decided to have small, in-person graduation ceremonies. However, if you don’t feel comfortable attending or can’t make it for some reason, I have some ideas for you! Even if we cannot celebrate the traditional way, there are plenty of ways to make it special.

1. Graduation Photoshoots

What better way to capture memories than photoshoots? The feeling of finally wearing your cap and gown after years of hard work is indescribable, and you deserve to always remember that feeling. Try to book a local photographer for some socially distant photos, or have a family member take them on their phone! Make sure to also decorate your cap for that *extra touch*. I found some great inspiration on Pinterest and TikTok!

black and white photo of a camera
Photo by Marx Ilagan from Pexels

2. T-shirt Blanket

Still have a bunch of t-shirts that you got from your university? Odds are that they represent some college memories for you. Instead of throwing them away or shoving them in the back of your closet, turn them into a t-shirt blanket. You could make it a DIY project by stitching all of your shirts together and providing a backing, or going to Etsy and finding someone to do it for you. They are a great way to comprise all of your college memories in one place. 

a person sits crosslegged on the ground folding laundry, including jeans and shirts which sit in piles before them
Sarah Brown | Unsplash

3. Zoom Livestream

Most universities are live streaming the graduation ceremony, which is great because you get to be in the comfort of your own home. Plan on having a Zoom livestream event where you invite your friends and family to watch the ceremony with you. You can share your screen so everyone can see and clap when your name gets called! 

zoom call with friends
Photo by Gabriel Benois from Unsplash

4. “Kudo” Card

If you’re looking for a virtual card, Kudo Board is for you! This website allows people to send a virtual card out to as many people as they want so that they can sign it and give their well-wishes. Once it’s done, you can view it as a slideshow or even print it out as a poster. Since you can’t have all of your loved ones in one place, this is the next best thing!

Letter and envelope
Photo by Kate Macate from Unsplash

5. Scrapbook/Poster

Speaking of posters, creating a scrapbook or poster of your best memories of college has its own charm. This is the perfect time to sit back and reflect on the past couple of years. Print out pictures that remind you of your college career, add washi tape or colorful paper, and make it as unique as you can. Be creative and have fun!

scrapbooking
Estee Janssens
This won’t be the graduation you may have dreamed of, but it can still be memorable. So many people are going through the same feeling, but the best we can do is make the most of what we do have. Plan some fun events for the day, make sure you eat some of your favorite foods and feel special for this last college hurrah. You deserve it!

Shabrina Parikh

George Mason University '21

Hi! My name is Shabrina, and I am a senior majoring in Information Systems and Operations Management. When I am not busy in my RA role, you can find me giving campus tours. I aspire to one day change the world with my words, and make a difference in my own little way.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com