absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays because of the closeness it has brought to my family that has always been geographically separated. It always gave us a reason to find our way back to one another. 

Despite this, I do want to acknowledge the twisted, exploitative nature that the holiday of Thanksgiving has been rooted in throughout history. I encourage you all to think about the indigenous people of this country this Thanksgiving, past and present, and to acknowledge their persecution throughout our nation’s history. 

Recently, I saw a Times article by Sean Sherman that encourages the American public to recognize Indigenous contributions to what we consider an inherently American holiday, and I strongly suggest you read it. Sherman also encourages people to focus on togetherness, generosity and gratitude to celebrate Thanksgiving. So it is with that mentality that I go into this Thanksgiving, and here are some tips for making your Thanksgiving your best yet!

1. If you are traveling, get to the airport/train station early

My biggest suggestion is to arrive earlier at the airport or train station earlier than you would normally. Thanksgiving is one of the biggest travel days of the year, so delays and inconveniences are likely. In order to keep these minor delays and inconveniences from piling up against you provide yourself an adequate time cushion. 

Via Giphy

2. Cook your turkey upside down

My family has been doing this for years and we all swear by it. This makes the turkey equally juicy in all parts and allows the liquid to divide equally. This also makes the dark meat cook faster, a good thing for all of the family members who prefer the thigh of a turkey. 

Via Giphy

3. Put your phone away!

Anything that you miss on social media can be made up for, but you will never get back this time with those closest to you. Especially if you or your family is traveling a long distance, time spent away from outside distractions should be prioritized. 

Via Giphy

4. Do not cook your stuffing inside your turkey

Salmonella is not cute ladies! When stuffing is cooked inside the turkey it often does not reach the desired temperature to kill the bacteria that cause food-borne illnesses. Play it safe and cook your stuffing on the stovetop. 

Via Giphy

5. Space out your cooking

If there is one thing I can recommend it is to pace yourself. When cooking for a large group of people it isn’t a bad idea to consider what dishes can be cooked the day before or at certain times of the day. You want to be able to enjoy the holiday as well as make a phenomenal meal, so do not be afraid to ask for help.

Via Giphy

I hope these tips make this Thanksgiving your best one yet. Enjoy this break before finals, collegiettes!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com