5 Songs to Help you Get Through Rough Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Sometimes, I could be having a really rough day that improves when the right song comes on. There’s something almost magical about listening to a song that speaks to your experience and what you are personally going through. When I personally deal with something hard, I like to listen to music that keeps me grounded and words that speak to my scared inner child. I recognize that not all of the songs that I listen to have to be empowering. Sometimes, a soft ballad about an artist who understands pain also goes a long way in helping me feel less alone. Here are five songs that I personally recommend downloading for a rainy day:

1. Good Cry by Noah Cyrus

This is a great song to listen to when you feel like you just need to let it all out. Noah Cyrus is blunt about she needs a good cry because she feels hopeless about life. She sings about how she’s feeling bad vibes and how alcohol doesn’t help as much as you might think. This song is great to listen to when you just need to pause on life and allow yourself to feel.

Via AOTY

2. Anxiety by Julia Michaels

This song echos what it’s like to has to have anxiety and depression. Michaels sings about how her friends don’t understand what she’s going through and how it poses such a big challenge for her because they simplify it. She says that no one knows what it’s like and that she’s always having to apologize for feeling down. This song is a great one to listen to if you’ve been struggling with mental health problems and need to feel understood.

Via Amazon

3. In My Blood by Shawn Mendes

This song brings me to near tears every time. It is a cry for help, especially when even medicine cannot fix the problem. He acknowledges that he will not give up on himself because that isn’t who he is. However, he needs another human being to empathize with his pain. If you need to be understood, this would be a great go-to song.

Via IMBD

Related: 7 Sad Songs For The Season

4. Cry Pretty by Carrie Underwood

Carrie Underwood has always been one of my favorite country artists but she really outdoes herself with this particular song. She sings about the need to express her emotions and how that makes her human. This song gets me because crying is what makes us human and Carrie tells us that it is okay to cry and feel. Though crying may not look pretty, it allows us to be vulnerable and honest with ourselves.

Via Amazon

5. Mine by Phoebe Ryan

Phoebe Ryan sings about how at the end of the day, her heart belongs to her. She acknowledges that she has had a hard past and is still struggling but will have the strength to piece her heart back together. A favorite line from the is when she says that even though her heart needs to take its time, it still belongs to her.

Via Wikipedia

Meaningful music is so essential when we’re going through a hard time because it helps us feel understood and less alone. Researchers found that people choose music to feel connections and get certain messages. They found out that people listen to music to identify what they’re feeling and to help them sort their thoughts out. I hope that through these songs, your feelings are validated. I hope that you feel heard and realize that through these rough times, music will never let you down.

Nikita Fernandes

George Mason University '19

Nikita Fernandes is a Psychology major at George Mason University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is a part of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and works as a daycare teacher. Her interests include educating people about social justice issues, reading poetry and watching TV shows with wine and face masks #selfCare.
Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.