5 NoVA Hikes That Aren’t in the Shenandoah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As a native Northern Virginian, I sometimes take for granted how this area has a little bit of everything. There’s the dynamic capital nearby, quaint suburbs and stunning Piedmont landscapes. One way to take advantage of the local natural beauty is to go on a hike and now is the perfect time to do so because the suffocating summer humidity hasn’t arrived yet. A popular hiking site, and rightfully so, is the Shenandoah Valley, but its rolling mountains are pretty far from Mason’s Fairfax campus. For something closer by, below are five trails in the NoVA area.

1. Bull Run Mountains

The Bull Run Mountains Natural Area Preserve covers an expansive 2,500 acres in Fauquier and Prince William counties. There are six trails here that range from easy to moderate, with one temporarily closed. It’s also loaded with historic Civil War ruins.

2. Great Falls Park

This 800-acre park runs along the powerful Potomac River, which crosses Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. You can simply enjoy the view or get active with cliff hiking and kayaking. Just remember that this river is too strong to take a swim in. 

3. Gunston Hall Bluebird Trails

As a proud Patriot, why not take a stroll on George Mason’s plantation grounds in Lorton? It’s called the Bluebird trail because the songbird was common during Mr. Mason’s day and the trail teaches about persevering this Virginia bird. You’ll also find the Founder’s beehives, deer park, wharf sites, graveyard and of course, the mansion. 

4. Mount Vernon Trail

Nearby the Potomoc River, this trail is 18 miles long and crosses through a couple of historical sites. You could see George Washington’s crib, the Theodore Roosevelt Island Park or even take a rest (or shopping break) in Old Town Alexandria. Also most of this route is paved, so it’s biker-friendly. 

5. Prince William Forest Park

Founded during the Great Depression, this park still takes the cake for being the D.C. region’s largest protected natural area with a coverage of a whooping 15,000 acres. On the 37 miles of 15 different hiking trails, there are plenty of creeks and wildlife to admire and share on social media. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a new to the hiking scene, there’s a path for every skill.

But Safety First

But no matter where you hike, make sure to be prepared with the necessary gear, like wearing shoes that have proper support and bringing plenty of water to stay hydrated. If you want more detailed tips on how to get ready for a hike, you can go on the American Hiking website

Photo Credit:

Image 1 & 3: Raquel DeSouza

Image 2: The Last Cookie

Image 4: clio1789

Image 5: clio1789

Image 6: TrailVoice

Raquel DeSouza

George Mason University

Raquel DeSouza is a local to the DC metro area and a soon-to-be GMU alumna. When she's not writing, she's probably watching reruns of New Girl or scrolling through Pinterest recipes. Twitter: Raquel_NicoleD | Portfolio: https://raquelndesouza.wordpress.com
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com