This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Spooky season is finally here and I couldn’t be more excited! As much as I love Halloween, I’m not a fan of scary movies. Here are a few movies to get you in the Halloween spirit without leaving you unable to sleep for a week.

1. Halloweentown

This 1998 Disney film follows the story of 13 year old Marnie on her journey to Halloweentown after her grandmother visits and Marnie discovers she is a witch, as are her mother and grandmother.

Via Giphy

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This animated Tim Burton film tells the story of Jack Skellington, who has lived his entire life in Halloween Town, a place where it is Halloween everyday. Eventually, he stumbles upon a portal to Christmas Town. After discovering this strange world he reports back to Halloween Town to try and bring the spirit of Christmas, a holiday that he does not fully understand. Not only will this movie get you in the spirit for Halloween, but Christmas too!

Via Giphy

3. Hocus Pocus

Set in Salem, Massachusetts, this classic Disney movie follows the story of three witches who are resurrected after being trapped away for 300 years. Max, the boy who freed them, is then forced to find a way to trap them again before the night is over.

Via Giphy

4. The Addams Family

Based on a satirical cartoon published in the New Yorker from 1938 to 1988, this movie follows Gomez and Morticia Addams, as well as their children, Pugsley and Wednesday, after the return of Gomez’s brother Fester.

Via Giphy

5. Monster House

This movie follows the story of a young boy named DJ, who lives across the street from Mr. Nebbercracker, an angry old man who confiscates any items that land on his lawn, until he suffers from a heart attack. After the heart attack, DJ and his friend Chowder head across the street to investigate the house, until it comes to life and attempts to eat them.

Via Giphy

Happy Halloween, collegiettes! It’s time to get spooky!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com