This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s no secret that these past few weeks have felt like something out of the pages of a novel. And as such, if you’re reading this right now I’d like you to stop and take five deep breaths. That’s better, isn’t it? In unprecedented times like these, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed. That’s why it’s so important to find activities that you enjoy during this period of social distancing. Simple actions like baking, watching your favorite movie, or exercising can do wonders for both your mental state and overall morale!

As for myself, I’ve spent a significant amount of my time in quarantine tackling my list of three hundred and fifty-five books that I have yet to read, as well as revisiting some of my old favorites. Whether you’re an avid reader or rediscovering this pastime during quarantine, here are five books that are sure to enthrall you!

If you’re looking for a comfort read: “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle

With an opening line like, “It was a dark and stormy night,” this modern classic is the perfect choice for a cozy day indoors. Madeleine L’Engle’s beloved tale begins on a wild night when Meg and Charles Wallace are visited by three mysterious witches. Along with their friend, Calvin O’Keefe, the two children are whisked away on a magical adventure to find Meg’s missing father. Whether you loved “A Wrinkle in Time” as a child or are reading it for the very first time, this unforgettable story is sure to enchant you.

If you’re searching for something post-apocalyptic: “The Giver” by Lois Lowry

If you’re feeling inspired by current events, your first instinct might be to pick up “The Hunger Games” or “Divergent.” While both of these choices do demonstrate exemplary taste, I’d also like to recommend an often overlooked dystopian favorite. “The Giver” follows Jonas, a twelve-year-old boy who lives in a perfect, futuristic society. But when Jonas is assigned to be the Receiver, he begins to learn undisclosed secrets about society’s past and realizes that the world around him is much less perfect than it appears. While it’s less rebellious than many of its dystopian peers, this thought-provoking novel is one that is sure to stick with you.

If you have the time to tackle a classic: “Emma” by Jane Austen

If you don’t feel like spending twenty dollars to stream the new “Emma” movie from home, I recommend opting for the paperback version of Jane Austen’s classic story. Besides, there’s no time like the present to become more versed in famous literary works. “Emma” follows Emma Woodhouse, a vain and spoiled young woman with a knack for matchmaking. Full of humor, romance, and Austentatious charm, this timeless story is delightfully entertaining and continues to capture the hearts of generations of readers.

If you want something light and escapist: “One Day in December” by Josie Silver

This novel is often advertised as a Christmas book, but I’m here to dispel this misconception once and for all. Even though it has December in the title, this beautiful story is one that can be enjoyed at any time of year. “One Day in December” follows Laurie and Jack after their eyes meet for the briefest moment at a London bus stop. Certain that she has just experienced love at first sight, Laurie spends the greater part of a year hoping to catch a glimpse of this stranger again. But in a cruel twist of fate, the pair are brought back together again when Jack is introduced to Laurie as her roommate’s boyfriend. Spanning a decade of Laurie’s life, this heartwarming romance chronicles ten years of friendship, loss, love, and fated encounters.

If you want something completely immersive: “Salt to the Sea” by Ruta Sepetys

If you are searching for a book to devour in one sitting, look no further. Set in 1945 East Prussia, this historical fiction novel follows Joana, Florian, and Emilia, three refugees on a harrowing journey to escape the advancing Russian forces and gain passage on the Wilhelm Gustloff. Unbeknownst to them, the German cruise liner is destined for tragedy, as it was struck by a Soviet submarine on January 30, 1945. Through searing prose and unforgettable fiction, Ruta Sepetys shines a light on the greatest maritime disaster in history.

Be sure to stay indoors and practice social distancing, collegiettes!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com