This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Movies are something that connect us all universally just like music. Often or not, certain demographics like African Americans are not seen as often in the film industry although that is changing as we progress into the future. That doesn’t mean there aren’t films with black people in them, it just means they’re not as common and don’t get the same attention.

Here’s a list of the 10 of the Best Black Movies (in my opinion and listed in random order) that I think everyone should see.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther is a Marvel movie that came out in 2018 with a predominately black cast. The movie mainly takes place in Wakanda, a futuristic (fictional) African country. T’Challa is the superhero in the movie and soon to be king of the throne. The movie was rich in both African American and African culture. I absolutely adored this movie and probably watch it more than 10 times a year.

2. Get Out

This movie creeped me out, but it was still a very good movie. To put it simply, a guy goes with his girlfriend to meet her family. He was in for a big surprise. This movie caused a lot of discussion in the media. It is definitely a must-see.

3. Girls Trip

Love this movie! A group of girlfriends all reunite to take a trip to New Orleans! This movie was so funny and shows the struggles of friendship adequately.

4. Ride Along

Kevin Hart and Ice Cube. What’s more to say. In this movie, a detective takes his sister’s boyfriend on a ‘ride-along’ throughout the city. A lot of uneventful things happen during this ride. I could not stop laughing throughout the entire movie.

5. Any Movie with Madea in it…

I would have to expand the list to maybe 20 if I wanted to include all of Tyler Perry’s movies with Madea in it. Madea is an ill-tempered, bad-mouthed, funny, matriarchal figure of various families. Despite her unique personality Madea tends to be very wise and helpful when it matters, especially when it comes to her family.

6. Nobody’s Fool

I loved this rom-com; I don’t think many people watched it but it was a gem. It’s about two sisters, one of whom is dating someone too good to be true online. It was very funny and, also, realistic. Tiffany Haddish and Tika Sumpter are the leads in this movie, two wonderfully funny actresses.

7. Think Like A Man

Based on a best-selling book written by Steve Harvey, this movie explores four different relationships. The women in them buy Steve Harvey’s book and begin to take his advice showing the effect.

8. Coming to America

This movie is about an African Prince coming to America and falling in love. Sounds cliché and maybe cheesy but I think it’s an awesome rom-com starring Eddie Murphy.

9. House Party

This movie is hard to explain. It’s about a kid who sneaks out to go to a party. A lot of other things occur but you have to watch it to truly understand and gain the full experience.

10. The Pursuit of Happyness

This movie always gets me in my feelings. It’s about a young father struggling after being evicted from his apartment. Chris Gardener played by Will Smith does his best to make life better for him and his son. I almost always cry when I watch the movie, it’s very touching.

There you have it, collegiettes! Most of these movies can be found on streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com