A Bunch of Movies Ranked on a Scale of Cinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Many young kids wish for that Cinderella tale of going from rags to riches and finding true love. I was one of those girls, and I still am. To satisfy my craving of the Cinderella story I loved so much, I turned to movies.

The range of different types of Cinderella movies is grand, but they all follow the same plot many know and love—with some variations, of course. I decided to rank a bunch of Cinderella movies that I have watched. This list is by no means all of the Cinderella movies in the world, but these are common ones many have heard about and some that I found and love.

My ranking system is simple: there must be a wicked stepparent or guardian, evil step sibling(s), deceased parents, a love interest, a metaphorical glass slipper, rags to riches, a fairy godmother, a concealed identity and a happy ending. My ranking system will span from 1, or the least Cinderella, to 5, an almost perfect rendition of the original Cinderella tale. (By original, I mean the Disney’s 1950 animated Cinderella.)

I am not rating the movies based on how much I enjoyed them; I am only ranking them by my Cinderella scale.

Let the magic begin!

A Cinderella Story

This 2004 version starring Hilary Duff as Sam, or Cinderella, is a good one to start with since many people know it.

Deceased parent(s): A sad check to Sam’s widowed father beginning the Cinderella story.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: This is a solid check to an evil stepmother.

Evil step sibling(s): Another check to two evil stepsiblings.

A love interest: A beautiful check to Chad Michael Murray, or Austin, the one guy we all wanted as our Prince Charming.

A fairy godmother: Two checks to Sam’s best friend and her mentor at her father’s diner.

A concealed identity: Sam hides her identity from her beau, Austin, for most of the movie online and in person.

A metaphorical glass slipper: Sam’s cell phone, which she loses at a ball.

Rags to riches: This one is a bit more complicated, but it is there!

A happy ending: Obviously, this one is very present.

My Cinderella Ranking: 5/5, or a perfect fit!

Another Cinderella Story

This 2008 rendition stars Selena Gomez as Mary. This is also another well-known Cinderella remake.

Deceased parent(s): Mary’s mother dies. There is no mention of a father.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: This role is played by Jane Lynch as she becomes a legal guardian to Mary.

Evil step sibling(s): There are two very annoying “step” sisters.

A love interest: This Prince Charming and pop star is played by Drew Seeley.

A fairy godmother: A check to a best friend who steps into the role of the fairy godmother.

A concealed identity: Mary wears a mask to a dance and runs from her prince.

A metaphorical glass slipper: Mary loses her Zune, an old music player.

Rags to riches: Mary is dating a rich pop star and she gets a scholarship to her dream school. I think that counts.

A happy ending: Another check!

My Cinderella Ranking: 5/5, or another perfect fit!

Not Cinderella’s Type

This Amazon Prime original movie stars Paris Warner as Indy and has become a favorite of mine. Although I said I wasn’t going to give opinions, this one has so much more meaning behind it than other Cinderella movies, and I really love it.

Deceased parent(s): Both of Indy’s parents are gone.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: Indy lives with her Aunt and Uncle.

Evil step sibling(s): There are also two cousins who become sort of like step siblings.

A love interest: Indy gets two love interests played by Tim Flynn and Tanner Gillman.

A fairy Godmother: There are a few people who save Indy from her Aunt and Uncle, but I’m not going to spoil it.

A concealed identity: From what I can see, there are no hidden identities here.

A metaphorical glass slipper: There is a cat that can be her glass slipper, but it might be a stretch.

Rags to riches: A huge check.

A happy ending: A very happy yes!

My Cinderella Ranking: 4, or almost perfect!

A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song

This 2011 remake stars Lucy Hale as Katie, a girl who loves to sing.

Deceased parent(s): Sadly, Katie’s parents are gone.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: An evil check to a wicked stepmother.

Evil step sibling(s): A check to an evil step sister and a step brother who redeems himself.

A love interest: A yummy yes played by Freddie Stroma.

A fairy Godmother: A check to a best friend and other helpers along the way!

A concealed identity: Katie hides who she is from her man at a dance.

A metaphorical glass slipper: Katie’s voice is what identifies our princess.

Rags to riches: Another yes.

A happy ending: A very cute yes!

A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits

This movie is from 2016. It stars Sofia Carson as Tessa. This one centers around a musical about Cinderella.

Deceased parent(s): The movie reveals that her father has passed.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: Tessa lives with her stepmother.

Evil step sibling(s): She also has two awful stepsisters.

A love interest: Another check to the amazing Thomas Law.

A fairy Godmother: A check to an amazing hair and makeup artist.

A concealed identity: Tessa spends a lot of the movie disguised as a blonde British girl named Bella.

A metaphorical glass slipper: She loses her sneaker that has been personalized with a beautiful flower.

Rags to riches: Just a simple yes to not spoil too much.

A happy ending: An obvious yes.

Rags

This Nickelodeon original movie flips the Cinderella stereotype on its head. Max Schneider stars as Charlie, a male Cinderella who hopes to be a singer.

Deceased parent(s): Another sad yes.

Wicked stepparent or guardian: An awful stepfather. This part is also usually a woman.

Evil step sibling(s): Charlie has two stepbrothers.

A love interest: This amazing singer played by the lovely Keke Palmer.

A fairy Godmother: I loved this role played by the ever-popular Drake Bell.

A concealed identity: Charlie hides his identity at a party hosted by a record label.

A metaphorical glass slipper: Charlie loses his demo CD with his original song on it.

Rags to riches: A happy yes.

A happy ending: Another yes!

While there are so many more movies out there, I can’t list them all or I would be here forever.

I hope you all reclaimed your inner Cinderella!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.