sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Hobbies Should Be Scheduled

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

We all have our hobbies: reading, drawing, video games, anything that becomes routine, mindless in the form that we can relax and just do.

Hobbies are important to continue, especially in college. When we move into a new environment, the stress of daily life and a new routine can interfere with the things we used to love, sometimes even making us forget our passions. It is important to maintain routine and fall back onto something that allows you to relax from the midterms, the studying, and the hours staying up awake with new roommates and new friends. All students know how terrible stress is and how much coffee we chug to stay awake to finish the study guide.

Sometimes we worry so much, we forget to have fun.

Sometimes it’s easy to leave passions and hobbies in the dust.

Sometimes it doesn’t fit into our schedule.

Sometimes you just don’t have it in you.

Many freshmen in college develop depression; in fact, 1 in 3 college freshmen develop a mental health disorder, anxiety and depression being the most common. College is a big deal and understanding how to deal with yourself with this whole new world, is to create a familiar routine.

One of these things is just a hobby. Find something you love and stick to it. Schedule it in a busy schedule, even if it is for thirty minutes a few times a week. Find the time on the weekends or in between study breaks.

For me, one of my hobbies is running. I couldn’t run a mile to save my life in high school, but I decided to join cross country and it changed my life. Running has become a stress relief, a moment where I know I can take a break from overworking my mind, while also working on myself in a different way. It feels like torture most of the time, but my mind is able to take a break and forget the deadlines, the worry, and be able to focus on something I actually enjoy.

ABC

That “break” can also be something easier. Sometimes it is just taking a step outside, taking a deep breath, and walking around campus. A break is a break, and it’s important to make it a part of the busy routine of tests and essays.

Stress will always be a part of life. It helps push you forward through difficult times. However, sometimes, it can bog you down. Understand what to do with this stress is the important part. A break allows you to take a breath, even under all this stress. This is called sublimation, which is allowing this stress to become a positive outlet instead of repressing it. Instead of allowing the stress and anxiety to overcome you, you realize that there are other things you can do rather than wallow in it. Whether it be running, exercising, sitting down, or finally cracking open a book, you should find something to do and make it a positive moment in your life rather than letting stress run you down.

Student, coffee enthusiast, and writer from the PNW.