This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Author Daniel Handler said, “Morning is an important time of day because how you spend your morning can often tell you what kind of day you are going to have.”

As we round the corner on one year since the pandemic began, a lot of us have come to realize the importance of establishing a daily routine for ourselves. After experiencing lock downs, quarantines, distanced learning, and working from home, we know it is all too easy to stay in our pajamas, sink into the couch and waste away the day. While that may seem like the comfortable choice, sitting in that “comfort” for too long can make you feel uncomfortable very quickly. 

So here are five ways to elevate your morning routine and start your day off right!

1. Listen to positive affirmation music while you get ready.

It is not a secret that listening to a good song can instantly transform your mood. A catchy chorus or a good beat can get a song stuck in your head for days. But how often do we step back and really listen to what the lyrics are saying? The lyrics in the songs we listen to have more power than we may realize. When you continuously listen to or sing along to a song, your subconscious mind instinctively internalizes the lyrics without you even realizing. In the last decade, researchers have found that lyrics have a significant influence on a person’s thoughts and behavior. For instance, female adolescents are more likely than male adolescents to use music to reflect their emotional state. Therefore, if the music we listen to affects, and sometimes influences, our emotions we should be very intentional of what we listen to. If we start the day listening to songs about sadness, heartbreak, jealousy, etc., we are likely to unknowingly reflect and attract those same feelings in our own lives. So instead, while you are getting ready, blast a playlist of songs that are all about feeling confident, beautiful, powerful, and contain positive affirmations! Starting your day with these kinds of songs can actually help you internalize those messages and speak them into reality. 

Here are few songs to add to your morning playlist that include positive affirmations:

“Just Like Magic” by Ariana Grande

“Cater 2 Me” by Angelic Montero

“Bright” by Kehlani

“Alive” by Kehlani

“Fergalicious” by Fergie, will.i.am (You already knew this one)

Red text neon light sign
Photo by Mohammad Metri from Unsplash

2. Hydrate! 

We all know that we should be drinking more water throughout the day, but one of the prime times to do so is immediately after waking up. Starting the day with a glass of water has numerous health benefits, including rehydrating the body, improving complexion and skin elasticity, boosting metabolism, and strengthening the immune system. When you think about it, if a person were to get the recommended six to eight hours of sleep each night, that is a pretty long period of time to go without any water intake. So, drinking a glass or two in the morning is a great way to rehydrate and energize your body. Now that you got that out of the way, go ahead and have your morning coffee.

3. Stretch

I get it, exercising first thing in the morning is not for everybody. Instead opt for doing five to ten minutes of stretches. Stretching as soon as you wake up gets blood flowing throughout your entire body. Thus, helping your body perform better as the day goes on. The movement also stimulates your brain, providing better concentration and more energy. Stretching of course also increases your overall flexibility, which in turn decreases the wear and tear on your muscles and helps with mobility. There are so many videos available of different stretches you can do! Here are a few to check out: 10 Perfect Morning Stretches to Increase Energy and 10 min Morning Yoga Stretch for Beginners – Energy Boost Yoga. I especially recommend the second video!

Pexels

4. Meditate

Morning meditations can set the tone for a good day. Because the mind is in a quiet and peaceful state, it is the perfect opportunity to ground oneself and prepare for the day ahead. Meditation is not one size fits all. Explore what feels comfortable for you. Here are some tips to get started. First find a quiet space and get into a position that allows you to feel both relaxed and focused. Some prefer to meditate in a sitting position, either on the floor or in a chair, while others would rather stand. Whichever position you choose, try to maintain good posture, keeping your spine as straight as possible with your shoulders drawn back and slightly down. Take deep breaths and exhale slowly, allowing yourself to be in total relaxation. Set aside any daily concerns and focus on feeling centered and peaceful. There are tons of guided meditation audios and videos available online that can help guide your thoughts. Of course, the best time and way to meditate all depends on your preferences and finding what works best for you.

5. Journal

Journaling is another practice that can start the day off on a positive note. Journaling in the morning can help you align with your intentions, improve productivity, and exercise gratitude. But, what am I supposed to write about? Here are three things you can include in your journaling routine. 

Woman journaling
Photo by Alexandra Fuller from Unsplash

1. Long term goal setting and reviewing. Incorporating this in your journal ensures that you are in alignment with your intentions each day. Think of a larger goal that you want to achieve for yourself. This could be graduating from college, landing your dream job, traveling abroad; the sky is the limit! Each day write the goal down in your journal. By simply putting it down on paper, you bring it to the front of your mind. Visually reminding yourself of your goals by writing them down and reading them every day will motivate you to actually achieve them.

2. Tasks that you plan to accomplish that day. Aside from re-writing your larger goals, it can also be beneficial to write down one to three tasks that you would like to complete for the day. These would-be high priority goals, like turning in an assignment that is due or paying bills. Creating a plan of attack establishes a focused idea of what needs to get done. 

3. Get into a grateful mindset. Writing down three to five things that you are grateful for each morning can help you start off positive. Doing so trains you to actively look for things to be grateful for in your everyday life. Continually practicing this will get you in the habit of being a more grateful and happy person. 

In no way am I saying that you need to listen to music, hydrate, stretch, meditate, and journal to have a productive morning; however, these are simply a few suggestions that you could try for yourself. Do what makes you feel good because ultimately you have the power to take charge of your day.

Rachel was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawai'i, and enjoys spending time with friends, going to the beach, and pretty much anything that involves being in nature. She is currently majoring in early childhood education, in hopes of teaching first or second grade. She is passionate about returning home to serve the children in her community.