Introvert’s Guide to Surviving a Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I get it. We all have friends who LOVE to party. Drinking and dancing all night with friends sounds like the perfect thing to do on a boring weekend in the little town of Milly. But what happens when you’re an introvert? Sure being an introvert doesn’t have to mean that you’re absolutely petrified of the idea of drunken crowds (or maybe it does…) but it’s not your idea of a good time either, especially if your friends are planning to stay out a while. I’ve done my time in cramped smoky houses and on the lamp lit bustling streets of downtown Milledgeville. It wasn’t what I’d call fun, but I survived and here are a few tips on how you can too.

1. Have a sober buddy. If you’re planning to stay sober, (if you’re anything like me, there’s no other option) it’s a good idea if one of your friends is also sober. Then you don’t feel as left out and you have someone to laugh with about all the chaos surrounding you. Plus, taking care of someone who went a little too far is never fun, especially if you have to handle it alone.

2. Always have a DD. Trust me, it’s the worst when you don’t know exactly how you’re going to pull yourself out of this

3. Have a backup plan. If you get too uncomfortable, it’s always nice to know that you can make one call and an understanding friend will come rescue you. There are plenty of excuses you can use to get you out of staying. Diarrhea works like a charm.

4. Know your limits. Depending on who you’re around, people might want to pressure you into doing things. If you simply want to dance with your friends, don’t agree to dancing with a pushy stranger. Don’t drink just because everyone around you is doing so. Also, if you decide to drink or branch out beyond your circle of friends, know when you’ve had enough.

5. Be honest. You should never feel forced into doing something you don’t want to do. Don’t go out in the first place if you’re not having good feelings about it. You can always invite friends over for a good time, plus it’s safer if you actually want to drink.

Well, there you go. Ultimately, going out and partying is supposed to be a fun time. Go with people who you know you can have fun with and who understand you. Or suggest other activities if it’s really not enticing at all. Do you, boo.