Girl is typing at a computer, but editting makes it seem like there are multiple hands in a blurried motion
Photo by Ella Barnes
Life > Academics

Study Tips From One ADHD Student to Another

A large part of my life has been spent trying to understand and cope with my ADHD, and especially as a college student, there can be a lot of twists and turns. In the past, I have tried to find tips and tricks that would help improve my life, but none of them would work (or they’d work for about two days, and it was back to square one). It’s very overwhelming and at times can make you feel broken. Well, you’re not broken; you’re just built different (literally). So, if you’re a student who struggles with ADHD, such as myself, and are looking for something you can do that makes you feel more productive, here are some things I’ve learned along the way that you may find helpful.

1. tailor your planner for you

In my experience, it’s easy to think you need some special kind of planner or organizer to help keep your life together, but sometimes less is more. Find a basic planner and tailor it to your needs. For me, each day of the planner is split into two columns: the due date of the assignment and a to-do list of assignments for that day. Each week, look over the assignments that are due and figure out which days you’re going to do them. This way, I can take one thing at a time, it looks less overwhelming, and it makes me less likely to procrastinate or forget an assignment. So, take time and figure out what you struggle with the most when it comes to planners and tailor it to fit you. Remember, you’re the one using it, so get the most from it.

2. advocate for yourself

That may be easier said than done. Many people with ADHD struggle with a crippling fear of rejection (myself included). But your professors won’t be able to help you succeed if they don’t know there’s a deeper issue. Reach out to them and use them as a resource. Most professors are understanding and have empathy for their students. If you need extra time on an assignment, reach out and ask for an extension. Even if it’s not included in their syllabus, they will most likely give it to you, especially if you’re trying your best. In my three years here, I have yet to have a professor not give me an extension when asked. If you need clarification on certain topics, reach out to your peers, your TAs or your professors. That’s why they’re there. Those people want you to succeed, but struggling in silence will do you no good.

3. Try to find a separate study environment outside your bedroom

Sometimes, my brain has a much harder time trying to start work when my work environment is in the same space as my TV, my bed and all my own stuff. It’s very easy to see all the things I can do besides my work, and I will most likely come up with some excuse to put off doing the things I have to and just lie in bed. So, when it’s time to get down to business, I leave my own space. There are so many places on and off-campus for you to study. If you are someone like me who can’t focus in silence, the first floor of Strozier is ideal. If you live off-campus, see if your apartment complex has a study area. Sometimes it can be as easy as going to your living room, so long as the space is not entirely your own. Having a separate environment will allow your brain to know when you’re in your study space, it’s work time; and when you’re in your room, you can drop your mask and relax.

4. find a body double

This might sound a bit weird if you’ve never seen this in reference to neurodivergence. A body double, in this case, refers to a person who sits with you while you get stuff done. They don’t have to be doing any work themselves, they just need to be there. I have found in my experience I am more likely to stay focused on my work and feel more motivated to stay on top of things if I’m sitting with my roommates. For me, it feels like an extra pair of eyes keeping me from being distracted like a “Big Brother” type (even if they are 100-percent not paying attention whatsoever). It helps even more if they’re also working on things. You and another person can just sit together and do work, and it can be almost calming. So next time you need extra motivation, ask one of your friends to sit with you. It helps more than you might think.

5. don’t beat yourself up

You’ve made it through a lot. The education system is not made for neurodivergent people, and many of us have some kind of horror story from our education whether it was a guidance counselor who ignored you or standardized tests that don’t reflect your knowledge or a plethora of other things. College education is a lot different than high school. Your professors control their own schedule and curriculum, you get more control over your classes and schedule and you can take classes pass/fail. I have found that since being in college, I enjoy school a lot more. I am learning the things I care about and the work I do are things I want to do. The classes allow me an opportunity to showcase my knowledge in a way high school, middle school, even elementary school never did. Your effort is seen by your professors and your work is much more worthwhile, so if you get a bad grade occasionally, think about all the other garbage you’ve taken to get where you are. One C will not ruin your life. You’re doing great.

ADHD is something you will carry for the rest of your life and many of us have already seen how the world is not built for neurodivergence, especially education systems. People have told me “just study more” or “work harder” and it’s easy to say, but many simply do not understand how ADHD brains work, so study tips that may work for your friend may not work for you. That doesn’t mean you’re dumb or lazy, it means you’re different. Therefore, the methods you use to be productive should be different. Hopefully this inspires at least one person to think differently about how to get to work this new semester and for someone to know you aren’t alone.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Rachel Heinbockel. I am in my third year at FSU majoring in Religion and minoring in Psychology. I joined Her Campus to make connections with many amazing women at FSU and I am hoping for a great year!