piazza a firenze
piazza a firenze
Original photo by Olivia Kasper
Life > Experiences

How I Survived My First Week of College in a Foreign Country

As an introvert, putting myself in new environments is not my cup of tea. Starting college is weird, with meeting brand new groups of people and trying to look presentable for that first impression. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that the back-to-school season is not something I usually fantasize about.

My school year started off different than most students because I am studying abroad. I am ecstatic to be studying in Florence, Italy. This is also a big milestone in my educational career as I am only a freshman.

I’m writing this confidently saying that I survived my first week, and honestly, I felt more like I was flourishing. The move away from my hometown and normality was much needed so I’ve been feeling very adventurous. Let me go more into depth about a few tips and tricks that helped me these past few days.

The best thing I did for myself was sign up for Italian class. Practicing an hour every day has already gone a long way and I’m able to take what I have learned and directly use my new vocabulary with locals. I’ve come to understand that as long as I try to speak the local language, the people are more willing to help me with what I need. I recognize I definitely also take advantage of the many English-speakers here, which is something I need to work on. I know I have plenty of time to redeem myself, since in my case I am studying abroad for three semesters.

The key is small steps at a time. Acknowledging little victories at least makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something, even if that just means remembering to take my reusable bag to the supermarket.

Arno river
Original photo by Olivia Kasper

The maps app became my best friend for the first three days. Even though I had visited Florence a few years ago, I was completely unfamiliar with the surrounding areas of my apartment. It made me more comfortable to explore using the buddy system- which was heavily suggested by our directors. I’ll admit we got lost a few times, but I think it was crucial to frame my mindset in a particular way. Despite getting lost, we were simply “taking a detour to explore” (in reality we were never too far away from where we needed to be). After about the fourth day, my friends and I were all confident enough to take relaxing walks around the river and streets in the evening after classes.

This time in life is full of new beginnings, and it is crucial to know my limits. There are many new elements in my life such as my first semester in college, my first time living alone and many other firsts in a foreign country. That equals a lot of freedom. Everyone is different in their desires and needs; for me, I knew I needed to primarily get settled with my classes. However, FOMO is real! But I try to contextualize my worries and rationalize my decisions.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide my expertise for the long run, but it is essential to live in the present and just simply get settled. Here’s to new beginnings! Ciao!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!