No Jokes Here: Joker Reaches $900 Million at the Box Office

Directed by Todd Phillips, Joker, with Joaquin Phoenix in the title role, has been an immense success since its release in early October. Only a month after its release, Joker has already hit the $900 million milestone in box offices around the world. Each day the film is approaching the billion-dollar threshold as fans continue to flock to theaters to find out what all of the Joker buzz is about.

Giving a refreshing and deeper look into the psychology of the famed anti-hero, Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker was an instant hit with both viewers who were already fans of the DC comic universe and those who had little to no knowledge about the lore surrounding the character. As the movie hit its $900 million box office feat, it also became the highest-grossing rated-R film of all time. Joker surpassed previous popular comic films like Deadpool by close to $200 million. In addition to its success compared to other films like it, the film has now become Warner Brothers’ highest-grossing release of all time and has been the number one film in Europe for over five weeks straight.

Phillips’ take on The Joker has proven to be tough competition for other movies that released around the same time and are still currently in theaters. For example, Terminator: Dark Fate and Maleficent: Mistress of Evil are finding it difficult to compete against this powerhouse of a movie, taking a beating in their box office sales.

Much of the film’s popularity has been generated by fans who couldn’t wait to see what innovations and quirks Phoenix would bring to the Joker’s character. Over the years there have been many different portrayals of The Joker, with the number of different actors coming in around 23. Most famously, actors like Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger and Jared Leto have tried their hand at the role and have been met with varying criticisms. It’s not wrong to say that audiences were itching to see if Phoenix would do the character justice while also bringing new dimensions to him which have never been seen before.

Courtesy: Cinema Blend

Stellar reviews from both critics and fans have been rolling in, stating that Phoenix might be the actor with the best portrayal of the Joker to date. A popular aspect of the film was the angle it took in framing the life of the Joker around his struggles with mental illness and the isolation he faces as a result of being a major outcast in society. It was also highly praised for its costuming, cinematography and the score, which was composed by Icelandic musician Hildur Guðnadóttir. Audiences have said that this is a dark, yet exciting movie whose content has not been highly portrayed in other recent movies and art. People were highly pleased with the film to the point that it even received an audience score of 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.

In the future, both director Tom Phillips and actor Joaquin Phoenix have high expectations to meet from all of the positive reviews and reactions that have been flooding online and print communities since Joker’s release. Furthermore, fans can’t wait to see what is in store for the DC comic series next and how writers, directors and actors will work to top the success of this film.

Courtesy: The Alayaran

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.